Chemo or No Chemo - Stage 1C1

Options
melanieplane
melanieplane Member Posts: 2 Member
edited March 15 in Ovarian Cancer #1

Finding myself in the decision making stage for Chemo or No Chemo (Observance) for Stage 1C1. Single ovary cyst with recent surgery to remove cyst, ovaries, fallopian tubes. Spillage during surgery (due to cyst size, needed drainage prior to removal). Cyst results returned as Grade 1 mucinous carcinoma. All post-op CT scans/tests in as normal. No signs of any other cancer sites, etc. An otherwise healthy 56 yr old! At crossroads for considering Observance vs Chemo route (6 cycles).

Comments

• Monday5
    Monday5 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

HI Melanieplane,

i am going through the same exact thing. Were you able to get any advice from any other doctors or professionals?

I am also trying to decide to either get a second opinion, because i am not ready for any this. The category I am in is PT1C2, which means cancer cells might be quietly sitting in my abdominal area. Are you planning on getting or maybe already have had a second opinion, if yes what do they say? I would appreciate any info you might have to share. thank you!

• melanieplane
    melanieplane Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hello!

I did not formally seek advice from outside my medical network (LOTS of internet research, reading studies and listening to talks/panels), although there is still very little to research for my case level. There is also a difference of opinion within the medical industry itself - those who feel chemo should be treatment post-surgery and those who feel Observance to be a considered path for treatment. My case is definitely in the gray area. I considered outsourcing for 2nd opinion, however I think I quickly realized that each professional would have simply provided their "opinion" on which path they had experience from within their own caseload. If the stage was another level or the cyst was Grade 2 then the team would already be coming to me with recommended treatment plan, not the option of 2 equally acceptable paths (chemo or Observance). I came to my own conclusion that while I believe in modern medicine and would consider chemo, I am also mindful of overtreatment. I assessed the risk level with both teams (surgery & hematology) as to my case and deemed it to be low risk (various factors - Grade 1 cyst, genetic testing clear, no family history). The choice was presented to be patient centered as there is more than 1 path to consider and became a personal choice (both teams being very supportive of whichever path I chose - my stage/level has a clear "either or" for 2 treatment options, with it being unclear if chemo provides any benefit. I have selected Observance, as it felt the right decision for me, for right now. If there is reoccurrence, we still won't know if the chemo path would have been the better path (we won't be able to think that way as we have know way of knowing if chemo would have actually been successful). There are so many what if scenarios (for both treatment options) - it was/is a tough spot to be in...I will move forward with no regrets!

• Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

Mucinous ovarian cancer is more similar to colon cancer than it is serous ovarian cancer. I don't know if there is a cancer center that specializes in this type. But if there is, I would certainly try to get a consult there.

• Monday5
    Monday5 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hi Melanieplane,

Thank you for sharing your opinion !!

Best Regards,