New Need Info

Options
Father
Father Member Posts: 1 *
edited February 16 in Kidney Cancer #1

My son, who is now 49 was diagnosed with Stage 4 Renal Cell Carcinoma, in July 2020. It had already spread in his body, and had one kidney removed. He has suffered thru the treatments, and meds, pain, weight loss, etc. Afraid, now he is going on the last Med that generally last only 4 months. Any info for Clinical trials, or where I can get info on what to expect in these next 4 months, would be appreciated.

Comments

• eug91
    eug91 Member Posts: 471 Member
    Options

Hi,

If you haven't already, please consider signing up over at smartpatients.com. They have a very active discussion there of the latest treatments and various clinical trials.

• KublaKhan
    KublaKhan Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hello,

You can also try ClinicalTrials.gov. Database is complete as all clinical trials are registered here. It can be filtered on many criteria, disease, drug names, geographic location, and trial status (ex. active, recruiting, not yet recruiting). All the best in your search.

• key2025
    key2025 Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

If you’re concerned about side effects/toxicities, a general resource for approved therapies can be found here: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/types/kidney-cancer/treating/targeted-therapy.html

For treatments, they typically report the side effects also as grades in terms of severity. You can typically find the % of patients with side effects and the average grade in the clinical trial reports. Those are very technical though, it may be more helpful to try the forum suggested by eug91.

• ktrett03
    ktrett03 Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

MD Anderson in Houston is the top cancer center in the world. I’m going in March to meet with their oncology team and get further testing. You can request an appointment online and they called me the next day to start the process of getting me in with the correct physician team. Memorial Sloane Kettering and Cleveland Clinic are also highly rated and normally don’t have as long as a wait time.

• rcole
    rcole Member Posts: 12 Member
    Options

i too have stage 4 RCC had my left kidney removed 2 years ago been on 3 different infusion therapy. Now on my 3rd pill combination . right now i'm on Lenvima and everolimus seems to working for me my last two CT scans showed the cancer growths have gotten smaller. if you need help or advise try the CSN chatroom here a lot of people there can help