New here. Unexpected biopsy

Options
Knashtunes
Knashtunes Member Posts: 6 Member

Hi all. Me: 55 yrs old, on hrt since menopause began, been about 4 years.

started having a period. Full blown, major bleeding cramps, some urinary dysfunction (urge incontinence). I just figured this was part of menopause, made an appt for annual. After exam, doctor says “we need to do a biopsy” and blammo I was having a biopsy. I am normally a good advocate for myself and ask lots of questions but I was simply in shock. I overhead him tell nurse my endometrium was thick. Then I was screaming in pain and I passed out from vaso syncope. Fun!

I mumbled something about my dear friend who died of ovarian cancer and Dr said “this isn’t that kind, we can treat this.”

So of course he wasn’t telling me I have cancer, but of course that’s all I heard. So now I have to figure out how to calm down until the biopsy comes back.

Comments

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Welcome Knashtunes. It is so hard to wait. But remember only 1 in 10 endometrial biopsies are positive. I'm glad to hear. your doctor isn't waiting around to find out. They did a biopsy right away. Keep busy. Go to new places. And please come back and let. us know. For those women who follow you.

• Knashtunes
    Options

Thank you so much. My symptoms are so distressing, I actually started having urinary incontinence! I’m a busy lawyer and I can just imagine peeing myself in court…. So whatever is causing my symptoms (bleeding, incontinence, cramps and bloating) I just want to figure it out and start treatment.

nobody warns you about this stuff.

very thankful for this group and I hope everyone is getting the support they need. I will def update when I get my results.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,369 Member
    edited February 9 #4
    Options

ditto Forherself's comments.

The biopsy was too painful for me and my doc said "forget it. and I am not charging you"

Hoping you find some help for the urinary incontinence. No doubt it is stressful, but until you get it resolved maybe look at some incontinence pads? I suspect it is not your first choice, but you sound very busy and can't worry about something happening.

• Knashtunes
    Options

Yeah I did get the pads. So embarrassing. Tiday is day 3 after biopsy but who’s counting? ;) I’m so hoping I get good news and I just need to adjust my hormones or something. The level of pain from that biopsy was seriously shocking. I’m so sorry you had that too. I suppose they had to do a D&C to biopsy you? I won’t ever do it again without sedation.

Thanks for chatting.

• Knashtunes
    Options

I got to talk to my doc today. Biopsy results not back until tomorrow. I asked what he saw on the exam and he says it’s def hyperplasia the only question is whether it’s cancer, pre cancer, or just hyperplasia that is unlikely to turn into cancer. He said either way, I need surgery because of the symptoms it’s causing. If cancer, then after surgery they examine the specimens to see if it’s spread. I feel much better after talking to him, he thinks it’s going to be fine no matter what, because it’s early.

• NoTimeForCancer
    Options

Yes, I had a D&C and was put under. I'm sorry to hear what you went through with the biopsy. Take a breath and let us know results. We are here for you.

• Knashtunes
    Options

Well there’s great news and confusing news. Doc called and said “it’s not cancer” but is treating me with a chemo drug! Honestly I’d rather have a hysterectomy than take a cancer drug.

I am going to schedule a call with him to explain this to me.

• NoTimeForCancer
    Options

Knashtunes, as you are finding, you have to be your own advocate. Push for answers. Ask if pre-cancer why no surgery? (trust me, I didn't RUSH to surgery but if it was best for me I would go there) Why a chemo drug? Based on what research? What pathologist did the review of your biopsy? How was it genetically tested?

Obviously, hard questions, but you deserve those answers. If possible, can you have someone with you who can take notes and be a second set of ears?

Some of us get lucky, falling in to great doctors with great plans, some of us have to push for answers. If all ask fails, say that you want a second opinion.

• MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 477 Member
    Options

My endometrial biopsy finding adenocarcinoma also reported "a background of adenomatous hyperplasia." I understand that some hyperplasia is benign while other hyperplasia is precancerous. However, I would want to be absolutely certain of what you're dealing with. If your doctor tells you it's the benign type, I would ask what the likelihood is that additional sampling from a D&C could also reveal a more troubling type of hyperplasia, or even endometrial cancer? I would also seriously consider getting a second pathology opinion. I know when I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer by my regular gynecologist, my gynecologic oncologist had me go to the lab and pick up the endometrial biopsy slides for additional review.

Wishing you all the best.

• NoTimeForCancer
    Options

Yes, I went from not being able to have to biopsy to having a D&C. I am glad I did.

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 656 Member
    Options

Knashtunes,

Welcome, and sorry for your issues. I couldn't agree more with MoeKay. I read your comments and I kept saying to myself: 2nd opinion, 2nd opinion, 2nd opinion. Preferably with a gynecological oncologist to confirm everything; diagnosis, chemo, surgery, if needed. You can get a remote 2nd opinion with the biggest and most respected cancer centers, everything transmitted electronically. I had my 2nd opinion at Mayo, Rochester, I know MDA and Sloan and many other NCCN cancer centers will do them. Insurance usually pays for them.

You want someone to review your case that has seen and treated a lot of uterine cancers, pre-cancerous conditions. You can, of course, get treatment locally and if necessary the 2nd opinion cancer center can recommend a treatment plan. I was dx 5 years ago and I am astonished at the progress in treatment protocols since then.

If your incontinence does not subside, you might want to see a urogynecologist, who can address the plumbing issues and gyne issues. They are experts in finding the cause and treating incontinence.

Denise