HIFU

Options
PaulCalif
PaulCalif Member Posts: 7 Member
edited January 26 in Prostate Cancer #1

I'm just beginning this journey. I've posted in a couple of threads, but wanted to ask if anyone on here had or studied the HIFU (High Intensity Focused Ultasound) proceedure.

My questions are, is it covered by Blueshield CA advantage medicare plan? Am I a good candidate?

If the answer to the first question is no, then I guess the second question is irrelevant.

I'm scheduled for a PSMA Petscan/CT. I've already had a biopsy. They found cancer in 5 of 12 biopsy sites. 3+3 and 3+4. I'm not sure, but I think the best candidates are those with cancer on only one side of the prostate. Unfortunately, mine is on both sides.

The proceedure sounds too good to be true. Excellent results, no surgery, no radiation, no side effects and fast recovery.

I think the down side may be that it's not a covered proceedure.

There are many focused ablation procedures that sound great, but I think this may be the only one possibly covered.

I submitted an inquiry with Blueshield so hopefully I'll get an answer soon.

Comments

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options

Big question: With cancer in several locations, are 'they' proposing a full gland ablation or several focal ones?

The American Urological Association (AUA) doesn't recommend HIFU:

Clinicians should inform patients with intermediate-risk prostate cancer considering whole gland or focal ablation that there are a lack of high-quality data comparing ablation outcomes to radiation therapy, surgery, and active surveillance. (Expert Opinion)

Based on the above statement from the AUA, I doubt that insurance will cover HIFU. Interested in what you find out.