How to show love and support

Options
wonderingperson01
wonderingperson01 Member Posts: 2 Member

Hello

My girlfriend's mother was diagnosed with stage two colon cancer back about five months ago. Since then it has spread to stage three and chemotherapy is likely needed. Her mom is 62 and my girlfriend has become deeply affected and worried that she won't be able to survive through the treatment. She has lost hope and sort of confined to what she calls the eventuality that she is going to lose her mother.

She has had a history of hardship in recent times, already coping with the loss of her father not more than two years ago to an illness. She's very close with her mom, and this situation has sent her into a deep depression and emotional stress unlike I've ever seen from her. The news has had a ripple effect, seeping into every aspect of her life to the point where she is self-admittedly no longer functioning like her normal self.

What is my role here. I love her dearly, but I feel hopeless in my attempts to support her. She has become unusually withdrawn and needing space, which I am giving her - though the last thing I feel I should do is make her feel abandoned.

Is there a way to get through? I need her to keep her faith in herself, in me, and in life.