Stage IV Cecum Cancer (ileocecal valve) with Mets to Lungs

Options
JerLynn
JerLynn Member Posts: 11 Member

Reading all these discussions, it shows everyone’s story is so different. For me, I am starting out the door with stage IV. BAM! A mucinous adenocarcinoma, 6.5 cm, 9/19 lymph nodes positive and probable 7 nodes in the right lungs. No symptoms before mid Nov. Still in shock.

My oncologist is recommending FOLFIRI, but thinks when I go to MD Anderson, they will opt for FOLFOX. I’ve read side effects and know that my body tends to react with muscle pain/weakness to drugs and sickness, so the oxaliplatin is my concern. But want the best outcome but quality of life is important. I’m not afraid to fight this but if I only get 3 more months with serious side effects is scary.

The doctor says the lung Mets are the biggest concern for outcome.

i haven’t started any treatment yet except right hemicolectomy. I’m recovering great, walking briskly 1.5 miles, fairly regular BMs, no pain. I’m 70 and have had an amazing life, strong faith in Christ Jesus

Anyone facing the same thing who has insight?

Comments

• BeirutVet
    BeirutVet Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Hello

I hope all goes well. Sounds difficult. Just try and hang in there. Be strong, all that other **** they tell us. I will keep you in my thoughts

Im a Relapse, I think. Thought I beat it in 2020. Seems like it’s back. I’ve a Colonoscopy scheduled the 16th of next month

I have 8 of the 8 major symptoms. I know what it feels like. I just feel stupid, I lost over 40lbs & thought nothing of it. I didn’t even consider the possibility of a relapse. Duh!

Do t mean to whine. Sorry. I just needed to bend an ear. I do not want to worry my wife

Be safe all. I hope you have a cancer **** kicking year

• JerLynn
    Options

I’m so sorry for your relapse. Prayers for you. I couldn’t go thru this with the strength of My Lord. Although I served 20 years in the Navy, I never faced everything vets like you did in the Mid East. May you draw from the inner strength you have, having been over there. I just found this site but I think it can be helpful to share and vent what we can’t at home. I know my husband has his own struggles and fears in this. I’m thankful we can share them. We’re in this fight together.

when I learned of this and the grim prognosis, I felt a certain peace because I know that however long I can, my purpose in this is to share hope and encouragement, and the peace and joy only possible thru Jesus. So for you and everyone, no matter what you believe or don’t, I will meet you there in the midst of your struggles. But know, my words will always include the love and grace found in Christ. .

• rockpaddle
    rockpaddle Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I face, not the same, yet, similar circumstance. I say, keep the faith. I heard that your attitude is your fortune. Your good attitude is a blessing for you and everyone.

• JerLynn
    Options

I read your post, sounds like it has been a roller coaster, but be thankful for this break til starting treatment again. I think that’s what I’m learning in all this, it’s gonna be a wild ride and I need to be thankful and know I’m not alone in this battle. I head to Houston tomorrow to meet MD Anderson doctor on Tues to see what is the best plan for me. I kept thinking I needed to figure it all out, get all my questions in line, but watching a video tonight about faith over all my fear, I see My Lord already has a plan and I need to quit striving and just trust Him, that He has out this doctor in my path for the right treatment.

Are they starting treatment again this month because there’s something new in your lungs, or just as a precaution? Will it be the same chemo or are they trying something new? I’m just trying to get an idea of the roller coaster ahead for me. But it is still my resolve to be joyful in the journey, not wasting a minute in fear or regret.

prayers for upcoming successful treatment. God is still good.

• rockpaddle
    rockpaddle Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hope your meeting at MD Anderson went well. My understanding is that my stage IV cancer is very difficult, ( maybe impossible), to cure and that the chemo treatment (FULFIRI w/ Avastin), that I have received. Is not a cure. Rather, a treatment that holds the cancer down. At this time, my cancer is in check, yet is still there.

I meet with with my DR. next Monday. I believe that he will recommend that I do another cycle of chemo. I say, bring it. In the mean time. I, like many cancer patients, am searching for something more. A study involving a possible cure of some kind.

At this point I feel healthy, other than the side effects of the treatments that I have received. Side effects that are completely manageable.

No matter what happens in the future. I feel very fortunate for 60 good years so far. And for every single day. Life is good! And I believe there is a lot more to this. Lets all Keep the faith. God is good!

• JerLynn
    Options

My meeting had no new news. Stage iv colon with Mets in the lungs. Start FolFox with Avastin Monday and after 4 treatments will go back to see if the cancer has progressed. Kept hoping MD Anderson could maybe offer more in the way of treatment, but not at this time. Perhaps when1st line treatment fails, seems like a crazy way to do business. Let the roller coaster begin. Disappointed, but I can’t lose sight that my Lord knows exactly how many days I will be on earth, and I will do my best to be a witness of God’s goodness even in this storm. I don’t understand why and I hate it, but there’s a reason for even this.

it helps that you said the side effects are manageable. Thanks.

• Christine_DC
    Christine_DC Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Oh my heart breaks for your diagnosis JerLynn but also so inspired and uplifted at the same time with your wonderful words, perspectives, and your faith. I’ve been struggling with my recent diagnosis. I thought I beat stage 3 colon cancer last year but found out last month that it had metastasized to my liver. I will be starting FOLFOX treatment in a couple of weeks. Having to fight against cancer again and against time and death have been draining me mentally and emotionally. I’ve been trying to rely more on God and praying that, in Jesus name, we beat this cancer. Thank you for sharing your story and your testimony.

• JerLynn
    Options

Stay strong in the Lord and His Vast Power. Put on the WHOLE armor of God. Cancer challenges everything we believe. And it makes us constantly question our live & choices, at least it has me. But my battle is not against cancer. I am Trusting God for the right doctors, treatment and outcome. I’m battling “me” - my fears, doubts, etc. Fear Not is in the Bible 365 times, I’m told. So I try to walk in Faith not by sight. If I had all the answers it wouldn’t be Faith.

Stage IV tries to take away Hope, but we can’t let it. My doctor yesterday explained that there’s no set plan. We start with one treatment, perhaps change to another, sometimes take a break or a mini-chemo. And keep an eye for a clinical trial or something more targeted to this particular colon cancer and its mutations. He said average time of survival is 30-36 months but he has seen folks live 10 years. So just like our lives without cancer, we must trust and obey. Let the doctors do their part, ours is to follow Christ.

Stay strong, and let’s all keep each other up on how we’re doing and our struggles. It’s in being real that we can be strong. Prayers for you & all who reach out.

• JerLynn
    Options

My heart goes out to you with this recent diagnosis. I know the shock it can bring when unexpected. This battle, tho physical, should be fought in the mind. I battle it regularly, but am reminded all that is included in putting on the while armor of God in order to fight. As we take captive every thought, we choose to Trust the Lord and not give into fears. I’m analytical, which means I’m always searching, asking, seeking an answer. But none of this makes sense, so I must Trust God’s plan and purpose in all this insanity. I want to know my odds, outcome, time, etc but My Lord keeps saying that it’s not mine to know. I have to walk by faith, not by sight. Hard to do, but it’s in those times I find peace. I’m learning to not jump ahead of Him.

I hate this, I really do, but it’s not something I can run away from, so I can only get my strength from the Lord.

if you Facebook, there’s a page “God’s Goodness in Cancer”. Perhaps find scripture and encourage there.