Stage 3C Cleanup Chemo

Options
Julia61
Julia61 Member Posts: 2 Member

Hi all! I'm a 62 year old woman who was diagnosed with rectal cancer a year ago January 2023. After an MRI, CT scan, and Pet scan, they staged me at 3c having a 6cm size tumor, which looked like 4 lymph nodes involved. Well from there I started on 8 infusions of chemo (oxaliplatin and 48 hour 5fu 'grenade') and then 28 days of radiation. After 6 weeks I had my resection surgery on Sept 27th with a wonderful temp ileostomy bag as my reward 🙂. Clear margins and 25 out of 26 lymph nodes clear. Today had my first 3 month CT scan and a bit nervous about that. 

I was wondering if anyone out there, with stage 3, had any cleanup chemo after their surgery?  I'm curious, because I did not and I'm wondering if I should.

I've read some of the comments out here and have so much admiration for all of you that have gone through this or are going through this and keeping that positive attitude. I aspire to be that way, but sometimes it's tough.

Thanks everyone for reading this long-winded story of mine. 🙂

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Welcome to the forum, Julia - no one wants to be a part of this group, but now you are here, I hope we can help you along, as you hit the highs and lows this diagnosis offers.

My treatment plan went different than yours, seeing that my tumour was blocking the colon, I had to have the resection straight away. I know many on the forum have had the chemo then resection route, and I hope they pop in and share their experience.

About the mop up chemo. I think that if your Oncologist wanted you to have it, then it would have been offered to you, but seeing that they did it first, then I presume tests showed clear margins and limited lymph involvement, then they decided you were safe to not get the mop up treatments.

You probably have talked to your Oncologist about all of this; if not, be sure and make a list of questions and go over them with him/her . Have then explain in full detail why they didn't want you to have followup treatment, and then you may feel better about the decision.

Once you feel comfortable with the decision, no second guessing. Even if something else pops up along the way. No point in going into what ifs. When they found that my Cancer had spread to the liver, I slipped into the 'but, what if.....' and that can be a real rabbit hole you don't want to go down. In the end I decided to just say, 'it is what it is' and move forward.

And notice how my reply is allot more long-winded than your story. We are here to read it all, and be with you, every step of the way. I wish you the best, and stick with us and we will stick with you.

Tru

• Julia61
    Julia61 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hello Trubrit. Thank you for responding and for your comforting words.

I know what you mean by the rabbit hole. Mama Mia, all the websites I visited after my diagnosis and all the different prognosis that it gives, really puts your head in a tailspin. Not something that's good for the psyche.

I actually had my oncologist appointment today and asked about the mop up chemo. He told me that because of clear margins and only one lymph node with cancer cells, which they took out, they felt I didn't need it. Exactly what you had mentioned! Funny thing is I'm feeling the 'after treatment' blues, which I told my oncologist about. He said that is actually a 'thing' and some people do go through it. They feel they have to be on chemo for a long time in order to keep the cancer away forever.

I read your profile and, even though you're stage IV, I'm so glad that after 10 years that you're doing well. You're an inspiration to so many of us that we can do this. I'm glad you're here and hope to have many more conversations.