New kidney lesion fast growing

Options
Crowbar
Crowbar Member Posts: 1 *
edited January 15 in Kidney Cancer #1

Good morning,

Starting in on a new journey. There never seems to be enough information and much that is there seems contradictory or confusing.

So, here’s my story: I’ve been having upper back pain for months, and some reduced kidney function. Incidental CT findings have been pointing in a different direction than kidney issues. In fact, a full torso CT scan in November and a PET scan in December didn’t show any kidney issues (though they found sarcoidosis in my chest). This week, I had an ultrasound of my kidneys, after finally getting in to a nephrologist. And this is where things go south. A 3.1 cm solid lesion was discovered in the midpole of my left kidney. I’ve gone over the CT and PET images again and confirmed it wasn’t there last month. It means this lesion has developed and grown in less than a month. Waiting on an MRI now to determine the next steps, but the crazy growth really concerns me (since it is MUCH faster than it should be). Has anyone had anything similar?

Comments

• eug91
    eug91 Member Posts: 471 Member
    Options

Hi Crowbar,

I'm not a doctor, but while it's possible something could grow quickly, it's also possible that your previous scan just didn't pick it up. Maybe the technician/doctor misread it, or the machine hiccuped, or there was something with contrast/no contrast. It wouldn't surprise me if a PET scan might miss something, but odd that an ultrasound would pick up something that a CT didn't.

Regardless, you have reason to be optimistic. At 3.1cm it's still small. Fingers crossed for you that your MRI will give you some clarity.

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Hi Crowbar, sorry about this news for you. I understand the frustration about contradictory information. Like Eug says, sometimes positioning or just the radiologist reading the scan can give differing results. Hope the MRI will clarify. 🙏