Options
vegasdee
vegasdee Member Posts: 11 Member

I need advice on how to cope and be strong for her

Comments

• jamesarthur81
    jamesarthur81 Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

What type of cancer does she have ?I have non Hodgkin lymphoma to see if it’s anything close to what I went through I’m a three time cancer survivor and just beat it again and been cancer free since Dec 2023

• vegasdee
    Options

Well out of NO WHERE!! She got a asthma attack that clasped both lungs she ended up full blown pneumonia, ten days in hospital . After she was sent home every thing fell apart. John Hopkins sent her results from her biopsy that such a non-Hopkins La Firma in the late stages in the rear large so far

• vegasdee
    Options

large cell rare non Hodgkin lymphoma and lymphomic She has a big mass chest neck spleen and overy

• jamesarthur81
    Options

I’m sorry to hear about the situation I had a mass in my stomach and did 8 months chemotherapy but after treatment I got viral meningitis for four months due to my immune system was torn up that was in 2013 flash forward to 2023 I was diagnosed with NHL again but this time it spread to my neck chest armpits abdomen and pelvis I decided not to do chemotherapy and been taking Essiac Tea for the last 12 months got my scans done and now I’m cancer free like life theirs no guarantee but it worked for me and countless others you might want to look into it …good luck on your journey

• vegasdee
    Options

My gosh!! Your body has been thru so much!! Please , help me understand what she will be in for with chemo?

• vegasdee
    Options

I’m so full of anger why

• jamesarthur81
    Options

Depends on what your oncologist is suggesting to do which could be a few rounds a month to one round a month I also did Essiac Tea as well to combat the effects of chemo.Thiers medication to fight the effects of nausea and possible vomiting that the doctor will give you as well . It felt like gasoline running thru my veins which they will hook into your veins for about 8 hours.During the first session I got an allergic reaction where my eyes were burning and watering and my face was beat red like a tomato. They took me off the IV injected with me with steroids. Let me rest for about an hour instead of doing eight hours of the drip, they slowed it down and I had to do 13 hours. Be strong …I got Ka chava shake to help me with nourishment and wellness as it was hard to eat solid foods and keep the weight up

• jamesarthur81
    Options

During infusion you’re in the chair getting an IV for quite some time ..so headphones. Phone charger ..a good charge on your phone.. download a lot of movies. They also give you Benadryl to make you sleepy through the process as well.

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options

Very sorry to hear this. Anger is a natural response, just not a helpful one. It comes from the shock of it all, and the feeling of helplessness that my follow. Anger can become productive if we direct it into positive response. One thing to avoid is paying too much attention to your daughter. Cancer patients go through days where they need some space and feeling smothered often results in family tension when that is not needed. Mother her, but don't smother her, if you catch my drift. She will tell you.

If your daughter is at a dedicated cancer center (Johns Hopkins is one of the best) then she is in good hands. Lymphoma is often termed a "liquid" cancer in that it flows in the lymphatic system, which is part of our body's circulatory system. Thus, it can spread to any part of the body. It involves cells of the immune system, and so they normally travel everywhere, seeking infection to fight. The good here is that lymphoma cannot hide from treatment. Additionally, B-Cell Lymphomas are the most common and treatment is well-defined and often very effective. There my be choices in treatment and reasons given for the choices. This is a leap of faith as no one can tell which choice is the best until results are seen.

It "sounds" like she might have Mediastinal Large B-Cell Lymphoma. This type often forms large tumors, but B-Cell Lymphoma tumors are known to melt away when the most modern drug therapies are used against them. I would find the exact sub-type from doctor and read up on it, as knowledge is power. There is information here, but also at the Lymphoma Research Foundation and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. They have dedicated information pages on each sub-type, to include the available drugs to use and even clinical trials.

Notice that all of us here are survivors, so allow that to be of some comfort. As well, your daughter's age means that she is most likely able to receive more effective treatments and dosage. Now, to find out who the enemy is.

https://www.lls.org/

• jamesarthur81
    Options
  • vegasdee
    Options

They told her 4 days ago it’s stage 4 and it’s in her bone marrow

• po18guy
    Options

As bad as that sounds, it is probably not all that bad. In my journey, I had T-Cell Lymphoma in close to 100 tumors, marrow, spleen and small intestine . At the same time, I had a myeloid cancer (MDS) in my marrow, being 23% of the marrow. I am still here. Delighted to be anywhere, actually.

• vegasdee
    Options

That’s wonderful u fought thru all that! She starts chemo next Monday gets her port Friday. What can I do for her ? Will she be sick?

• ShadyGuy
    ShadyGuy Member Posts: 903 Member
    Options

Chemo is very doable. You seem to have no Idea what course of chemo she has planned. I have been thru chemo twice and can tell you, it can be done. My advice, for what little it may be worth, is to be careful not to transfer your anger and anxiety to your daughter. And don’t work in the dark. Find out specific details on her lymphoma and specifically what her chemo regimen will be. Study that and ask questions here. There are some very knowledgeable people here who, though they cannot and will not offer medical advice, can help you understand the situation. Lastly whatever you do, do not get lured into some phony snake oil type treatments. That would be pure folly and could interfere with the drugs she gets in chemo. Her team needs to know everything she puts in her mouth, even simple vitamins. Be sure to follow your doctor’s advice and your daughter can have a longer more productive life.

• ShadyGuy
    ShadyGuy Member Posts: 903 Member
    Options

A Quote from WebMD

“Research into essiac tea's effect on cancer has been conducted by the National Cancer Institute, the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, and many other institutions. To date, the results have been conflicting. 

Several studies have shown the drink stimulates the growth of certain cancer cells. This effect has been observed in two lab studies, and one study with rats.

Essiac tea may also interact negatively with chemotherapy. One case has been reported where it may have caused increased toxicity in the blood of a chemotherapy patient. Many experts caution against combining essiac tea and chemotherapy.”

• vegasdee
    Options

Thank you for all your kindness and advice I’m sure I will need you more very soon!! I’m in Las Vegas nv where do you live

• jamesarthur81
    Options

Research and do what’s best for you of course …I’m a three time cancer survivor and did chemotherapy and after eight months I got viral meningitis which was worse then cancer or chemo but I beat it and ten years later I got NHL again I decided what’s best for me which you should get as much information for your type of cancer your dealing with what treatment your going to do but I’m going to tell everybody you can think it’s snake oil but I did Essiac tea for 12 months without doing chemo and I’m cancer free …it’s like life there’s no guarantee but it worked for me ….isn't it about ones journey and survival ….theres pretty of testimonies of Essiac working but I’m not hear to sell anyone on it I’m just telling my story of how I beat cancer without chemo

• po18guy
    Options

We are given one day at a time to deal with. Viewed in that light, the cancer journey is quite doable. However, I must advise that it can be more difficult to watch suffering than to suffer. Caregivers watch what is occurring and can feel helpless at times. Yet, you are helping - more than you know - simply by being present to her and taking care of any daily tasks that come your way.

• vegasdee
    Options

I know I can’t loose my daughter! I raised her and her older sisster all by myself. I almost feel like I feel her pain, I get sick I get tired, I get overwhelmed with sadness

• po18guy
    Options

She might get sick, she might not - at least at first. They will give her anti-nausea meds. If she has trouble any of us can advise, but there are ways of dealing with it. She will need LOTS of fluids, as virtually everything causes constipation. The effects of chemo are cumulative, so aside from possible nausea, should "should" be fine for the first round or so.