Rectal Cancer and Colostomy

Options
arlynajmmkc2007
arlynajmmkc2007 Member Posts: 3 Member
edited January 11 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hello everyone, Lynne here and Im the caregiver for my husband who was diagnosed stage 2 rectal cancer last March 2023. We are done with our treatments. Last Dec 12 he had an abdomen and chest CT Scans. Thank God all came out normal with no anomalies what so ever. Now we are waiting for an MRI coming this January 12 and January 16 for colonoscopy. Our concern is that as of now his tumor although shrunk is not in its acceptable size yet to save his rectum and he is talking about a permanent colostomy. My husband will turn 60 this coming February and we are kind of skeptical about our surgeons approach. We dont want a permanent colostomy thats why we are planning to have a second opinion but it worries us about starting all over again. Any advice? Thanks to all

Comments

• CoolGirl
    CoolGirl Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Hi Lynne- just want to say that is Great news about your husbands tumor shrinking. Yay! These tumors are all so different. One never knows if something will work or not.

I can share with you that I had a colon resection and that took the tumor completely out of my colon. I too have Colorectal Cancer.

Though my cancer has returned that surgery saved my life back in 2022 and I was able to have a better life due to that surgery. I was given the colostomy bag option a couple of times and always decided against it. It seems risky to me. That said, maybe there is a surgeon you might trust more?

Personally, I talked with a few different surgeons about the colon resection surgery. I knew almost immediately when I met the right surgeon for my surgery. He just clicked with me and was far more gentle and understanding of my complications than the other surgeons. He did an amazing job on my colon.

I had a funny feeling about a couple other surgeons and to me it didn't "feel right". So I trusted my instincts and had a very good outcome.

Maybe that's the right surgery for your husband maybe there are less invasive surgeries to get that tumor out? If you have the ability to I suggest getting a second opinion. Hoping for the best! Stay Strong!

• arlynajmmkc2007
    arlynajmmkc2007 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Thanks a lot coolgirl. My husband's surgery will be this coming month Feb 22 to be exact. Before that day comes we have a month of preparation and during that time frame we will find another doctor for a second opinion. Thanks so much 🙏 💓