Brain fog/cognitive difficulty without chemo or radiation

Options
LovesPrimes
LovesPrimes Member Posts: 97 Member
edited January 3 in Breast Cancer #1

My cancer support counselor is reading a book called, I think, your brain after chemo, and she commented in our last session that a lot of my issues with brain fog, difficulty concentrating, memory problems, etc. are similar to patients that had chemo. I didn’t have radiation or chemo but I have had three surgeries in less than 8 months. I’m curious about others’ experiences with this. For those of you also in the no radiation/no chemo group, have you had any mental issues? If so, how long did they last or how long have you had them?

Comments

• laurenlant531
    laurenlant531 Member Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 8 #2
    Options

Hi there! I am not sure if your counselor has mentioned this to you yet, but mental health difficulties such as anxiety and depression can impact cognitive functioning (memory, attention, speed, etc.) and cause you to experience what is referred to as chemobrain/ chemofog. I can send you some research articles that explain this further if you are interested. [Edited by CSN Support Team]

• LovesPrimes
    LovesPrimes Member Posts: 97 Member
    Options

@laurenlant531 Thank you. Yes, I would be interested in that information and would be willing to participate in the study. As someone with a doctorate, working in a highly intellectually demanding field, this decline is very distressing to me. I'm hoping and praying that eventually I will get my brain back!