Liver metastasis from Colon

Options
treardon65
treardon65 Member Posts: 4 Member
edited January 5 in Colorectal Cancer #1

l just was diagnosed with a liver metastasis secondary to colorectal cancer. Any know anything about this. How bad is this?

Comments

• Wadsdan777
    Wadsdan777 Member Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Hi there, sorry to hear about that. Ive been there. Just a couple of questions if possible:

How many liver lessions were identified? ( was it a CT, MRI or PET-CT that was done? )

What is/are the size of the liver lessions?

What is your CEA level?

That would help give a good overall picture, however to note there are lots of good things that can be done for liver mets now adays, upto/including cure's - so please dont "go there" in your mind so to speak.

• treardon65
    Options

Thank you for your response. One liver metastasis, approximately 3.3, 2.0, 2.2 cm. , cat scan. Don’t know cea level. Tks for the positive remarks.

• treardon65
    Options

there is no cancer remaining in colon. Just the one liver metastasis.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, many of us have had the CRC spread to the liver, and often up to the lungs.

One liver met is good - I mean, better than 2 or 10 or more.

I had one liver met, and it was taken care of promptly. That was TEN years ago in April. Yes TEN TEN TEN.

Find out all you can, about your liver met. Where is it, and what they can do about it. Ask if Ablation is an option. The met usually has to be smaller for Ablation, at least that is what they told me TEN years ago - did I mention TEN? But things may have changed by now.

I wish you all the best.

Tru

• treardon65
    Options

Thank for your response. I appreciate the encouragement and wish you well.

Tom

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options

I read an interesting study around the time I was first diagnosed and then had lung Mets. Apparently, at the time, the prognosis for people who had Mets to the liver before and Mets to the lungs was better than having Mets solely to the lungs (or have the Mets first to the lungs and then to liver.). Ablation and other things are available for the liver. But things keep on changing a lot the last 10 years, there may be more things out there. My bit of advice is to stay on top of this as much as possible. Start thinking about various approaches now based on things which can happen. In other words if the tumors gets to X size, what will you do? Ablation? Resection?

It is easier (for me) to do all the planning ahead of time so I feel less rushed/maybe not as clear thinking when (if really) it does happen. I do stay positive and hope things won’t happen, it is more just in case.

• CoolGirl
    CoolGirl Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Hey there- so sorry to hear about your colon cancer spreading. I have to say that my colon cancer spread very quickly to my liver back in 2022, after I had a colon resection. I am on pain meds 24/7 now; however I haven't specifically had liver pain or direct consequences so far. I have cut out ALL chocolate and most sugar completely from my diet. I did notice acute pain when I ate chocolate so I recommend avoiding chocolate and possibly spicy foods and obviously alcohol goes without saying. I personally am weak and on hospice now all basically because the Cancer Doctors all refused to treat me- and my Colon Cancer is now in a lot of other places. If you can try to stop the spread right away that's your best bet.

If you can get the care I say get it right away. I am trying to put your mind at ease to say that it has metastasized there for me too -- only that it hasn't grown all that quickly in that area. No Doctors ever mentioned ablation to me. Then again no one was ever motivated to help me either. The best advice I can give you is to read everything you can and try to become very educated about what you have and what has worked for other people with your same diagnosis. As always take the absolute BEST Care of yourself! I hope you get Good Care!