What to wear post-surgery

Options
oldbeauty
oldbeauty Member Posts: 366 Member
edited January 5 in Colorectal Cancer #1

I am a female who expects to have a Right Hemicolectomy soon. It's possible the surgeon may have to convert from laparoscopic to an open incision because I previously had a total hysterectomy, also by open incision, and pelvic radiation, all of which may have altered my "innards" enough that the surgeon needs the open incision for access. My question is how painful was it to wear clothing with a waistband after surgery? I have yoga pants but I worry even those might be too tight. I don't have any sweatpants, and I wonder whether I should get some before the surgery. What is the consensus about what is comfortable clothing for recovery? Thanks for any ideas. Best wishes, Oldbeauty

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Sorry to be reply a few days later than you posted.

In my humble opinion, I would be wearing a nice, loose dress, for a week or two after surgery. I know that I wore a dress out of the hospital; and no, I did NOT wear underwear either. I didn't want anything across the incision, which was up and down from above the belly button to the pubis.

There was also allot of bloating, as I think they had to have pumped in, either allot of fluid or gas. That of course went away, the more I walked - and walking is so important. The sooner the better.

I have heard that they can do keyhole surgery, and that would be all of less invasive, with a couple of small incisions.

Have a chat with your surgeon, and ask him what he plans on doing to you.

What date is your surgery scheduled for?

Wishing you the best.

Tru