Side effects of Mitomycin

Options
smr7059
smr7059 Member Posts: 13 Member
edited January 2 in Anal Cancer #1

On 1/8/24, I start treatment for Stage 2 Anal Cancer, & I will have 1 dose of Mitomycin along with 5FU for 96 hrs. At beginning of treatment & 96 hrs. At the end of treatment. Also, 30 rounds of Radiation. I have RA & concerned about the potential side effects of this drug. I appreciate everything that I’ve learned on this site & if anyone can shed any light on this drug, I would be grateful.

Comments

• Heather0880
    Heather0880 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I had the exact same chemotherapy and two months of radiation treatment’s every day, I was a T3 sized tumor, I also had to have an ostomy for like 9 months because of it all. The first thing that happened in my case didn’t happen until the week after the chemotherapy, I had soars all in my mouth and throat to the point I could not swallow, so make sure they give you the meds and numbing mouthwash before that even happens because they missed the boat with me on that one until it had already happened, then I think the worse part of the chemotherapy for me was losing my taste, everything tasted like I was eating dry cardboard, i took all the meds to prevent nausea but that didn’t help not being able to eat anything, I went down to 88 lbs and my heart rate in the 30’s , I got dangerously dehydrated a lot, everyone’s a lil different though but this is what I found out worked best for me, drink ensure drinks, sweet stuff was almost too sweet to take, bread and cheese and that kind of stuff is horrible don’t even try it, what I lived off of for months was yogurts, Italian ice, jello, scrambled eggs, ramen noodles

• Heather0880
    Heather0880 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Also Most of my hair fell out after everything

• AnnieRB
    AnnieRB Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I was also diagnosed with stage II anal cancer. I had almost the exact same treatment from Sept. 25th thur Nov. 1. 28 days of radiation and Mitomycin and 5FU on weeks #1 and #5. I had mouth sores during week #2; they were horrible. Get the magic mouthwash in preparation! I lost 8 pounds in 1 week. Make sure you chew ice when they give you the chemo and move the ice around your whole mouth on the inside (especially the gums), that helps to prevent the sores. Due to my reaction to the chemo the first time, on week #5 they reduced my mitomycin by 50% and my 5FU by 20%. I didn't get any sores after week #5. Also, I chewed ice like crazy and avoided any mouth sores. Still too early to know if the treatment was successful. I will see surgeon on Friday to see if cancer is gone. Also, I did not lose my hair. It did thin out some, but I still have hair. My worst part was the effects of radiation on weeks 6 and for the following week of recovery. It burned when I peed and going to the bathroom was excruciatingly painful. Most of that has passed now. I'm mostly ok. Do not drink any drinks that are high in acid (coffee, tea, orange juice) I drank water and diluted cranberry juice most of my treatment and I followed the low fiber diet to make sure everything could pass through as easily as possible. That helped too. Do not use any creams on or around the radiation area before radiation. Make sure it is all wiped off prior. It will make the burns worse. Good luck.

• smr7059
    Options

Hi Annie. Thank You for answering so many of my questions about your treatment. Since we both have the same diagnosis, I will be referring to your post many times in the coming wks. Do you know the name of the mouthwash that helped with your mouth sores?

I’ll be thinking of you on Fri. & hope you are Cancer FREE!

• dssdesi
    dssdesi Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

hello. I am 2 months past my chemoradiation treatment. 28 days rt. and capecitabine on rt days. and mitomycin on day 1. i was stage 2 no mo. they removed growth during biopsy before. I recovered ok now some side effects I expected , acutally better then I thought I would be at times. I am 63 female. But for weeks now I get lay wayed at times with fatique. But my biggest problem of last few weeks is always feeling kinda sick in my belly somedays even taking the nausea meds. I cant seem to find anything about this being a lasting side effect just the fatiqued part. Has this happend to anyone elsa. Thank you all , I am grateful your here to write to but sorry we are going through it. Strong together, 🙂

• AnnieRB
    edited January 6 #7
    Options

Hi. The oncologist called it magic mouthwash. They mix it, and it has a Pepto-Bismol like base with lidocaine mixed in. Any oncologist will be familiar. Everyone refers to it as "magic mouthwash". I used it 4 times a day. Once prior to each meal and once to brush my teeth. Doesn't last long, but enough to get by.

• AnnieRB
    Options

PS. Thanks for the positive thoughts. I'll keep you posted.

• AnnieRB
    Options

My surgeon checked with the scope yesterday and removed my port. I'm CANCER FREE and will need to go in for my next checkup in 6 months. A great start to the year.

• smr7059
    Options

I am sooo happy for you & wish you continued good health! Don’t stop visiting this site, as we all need your expertise & encouragement. I’m anxious & nervous to start treatment on Mon., Jan. 8th.