Cyberknife vs DaVinci Prostatectemy

Options
grattman
grattman Member Posts: 6 Member
edited January 1 in Prostate Cancer #1

With regard to Cyberknife, do they prescribe MRI’s to confirm tumor destroyed?

If Statistics indicate near equal success in tumor eradication, is the only advantage of surgery that nodes are removed for biopsy? Do they always get every node out?

All indications from CT and MRI show nodes are at normal size. So if I am confident that the contained cancer is gone, why do I need to subject myself to Lupron with side effects that negate the advantage of Cyberknife? I know Lupron is not long term, but permenant damage is on record. My understanding is that Lupron suspends existing cancer cells, it does not kill them. What is the logic of Lupron therapy? That Cyberknife eradication of contained pathology is a crapshoot?

Thanks my friends

Gary

Comments

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 243 Member
    Options

You aren’t automatically prescribed Lutron with cyber knife (or any radiation). It depends on the risk group you are in. Low or Favorable Intermediate risk does not require ADT automatically. Higher risk usually does.

• grattman
    grattman Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Thanks my friend!! I had on biopsy core that was a 3+4 (7) Gleason the other biopsy that showed cancer was a Gleason 6. This is quite a complex decision!

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options

Hi Gary,

In contained cases, the main reason in choosing between RT and RP lies in the risks and side effects attached to the treatment. In most cases, RT causes cystitis and proctitis where RP causes incontinence.

Regarding the combi RT + ADT, the results from clinical trials have shown 35% increased success in the combi against RT alone.

It is known that the blow of the radiation on the cancer is improved by the ADT effects along the cells' life-cycle of approximately 6 months. ADT keeps them down to assure complete destruction of the DNA.

In your shoes I would get the shot.

Best,

VG

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,013 Member
    edited December 2023 #5
    Options

Hi,

To answer your question I don’t think they do a followup MRI to see if they got all the cancer. A PSMA PET scan I would think would be more sensitive to detect if the cancer had been eliminated. I don’t know how long it takes a Cyberknife beam to kill the cancer, minutes,days,months? With surgery they remove the whole gland plus lymph nodes if needed so one would hope a good surgeon would get everything. These should be questions on your next doctor visit with your Oncologist.

Dave 3+4

• Steve1961
    Steve1961 Member Posts: 519 Member
    edited December 2023 #6
    Options

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Steve,

If you are going to make statements, at least make factual ones. After all, folks come to this Forum to LEARN, and not be bombarded by nonsense.

"The first cyberknife system was installed at Stanford University in 1991 and was cleared by the FDA for clinical investigation in 1994. After years of clinical investigation, the FDA cleared the system for the treatment of intracranial tumors in 1999 and for the treatment of tumors anywhere in the body in 2001."

Last, for your own good, and for the good of all of us survivors here, it is well past time for you to come out of the past and start living in the present, and put forth a non-jaded view toward the future.

• Steve1961
    Steve1961 Member Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Wont happen again

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

Hi,

Got to agree with Josephg, Cyberknife has been around long enough to establish a very good track record. You should not have any second thoughts if you choose Cyberknife.

Dave 3+4

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,327 Member
    edited December 2023 #10
    Options

An MRI (or any other scan) soon after SBRT makes no sense. It takes months for all the cancerous cells to 'die'. PSA is a much better and cheaper way to follow what's going on.

With respect to the examination of nodes, it depends (doesn't it always). In general (!), only a few nodes are taken, but much is up to the surgeon. Some don't do any, I have read. I don't know if that's true...