Permanent hapatic damage possible?

Options
STI_1911
STI_1911 Member Posts: 21 Member
edited January 11 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hello everyone, it has been almost 2 and a half year now simce i was diagnosed. I went through complete resection and an adjuvant chemo therapy. During Chemo i got two doses of oxaliplatin out of four that were initially planned for. I had severe neural symptoms so they had to stop it and continue 6 month with xeloda only.

Since then i was recovering pretty well and i would say i am almost the same as before.

Just one questiln left: i have the gilbert's syndrome and therefore always had high bilirubin values. It was always the indirect bilirubin that was high. But now after chemo, also the direct one is high. Causing various symptoms such as nausea and bad moods. Can either Oxaliplatin or Xeloda cause such a permanent damage? And is there anything i can do about it?

Thanks and have a blessed Christmas.

Comments

• CoolGirl
    CoolGirl Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Hey there- I am sorry to hear about your side effects. I too experienced very bad moods on Xeloda. It caused an almost severe immediate depression in me that I had not experienced since I was in my early teens. The Xeloda really messed with my brain chemistry. I also think I got a little dehydrated when I was on the Xeloda. I hope things get better for you. I wasn't able to stay on it and it actually didn't help my tumors slow their growth not in any way.

• STI_1911
    Options

Hi there,

Thanks for your response on that.

I am sorry that it didn't helo you at all. That should have been the least to expect after walking through this rough time.

I really hope your oncologist found other ways to help you.

All the best

• CoolGirl
    CoolGirl Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Hi & Thanks for your caring words. Yeah, it was really bad. That oncologist did not find other ways to help me. It seems where I live I just was never allowed to get real Cancer care. She didn't and does not care about me. I am now on hospice because no Oncologists would help me. All I can do now is take the best care of myself that I can.

It has felt to me like trying to win a popularity contest and totalling failing. They refused to help me live. It's been devastating. I am only 52.

• STI_1911
    Options

Oh dear, i am actually at the same age. It is so unfair that i obviously made while others won't. I don't know what to say. Sometimes i feel like celebrating but then i see others even in my inner circle that are about to lose this fight. People that care for me and encouraged me to go on are now pretty much at the end of their road. It's so sad to see them suffer like this. I am not a religious person but this makes it even harder for me to believe there is a god above that is fair and trustful. My prayers are with you.