Sense of urgency?

Options
PegSue
PegSue Member Posts: 13 Member
edited December 2023 in Colorectal Cancer #1

My brother was just diagnosed via CT scan on 12/12 With colon cancer with extensive liver Mets and possible lung. He plans to go to Mayo in Rochester, MN for care but they won’t schedule appointment until they receive pathology report. Local hospital rescheduled CT guided liver biopsy from 12/26 to 1/15. That would mean a probably early Feb initial visit at Mayo. Is that a reason timeline or should we find another way to get him into Mayo sooner (ie. Going through their ER because of the pain and vomitting)? He is not obstructed but does show some intersusseption at the tumor site (ileoceccal).

Comments

• sgold88
    sgold88 Member Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Very sorry to hear about your brother's diagnosis. Take the time to peruse this site and you will find many survivors, long-term survivors who found themselves in your brother's position, or worse, but are alive to tell their stories today.

Just curious - is there a reason you are going to Mayo and maybe not considering another cancer care center? Obviously Mayo is phenomenal but there are many that are phenomenal who might be able to work with you quicker. Lots of people get sick and say "I'm going to the Mayo". Certainly this isn't a bad approach but the doctors at the Mayo often come from, and go to other hospitals across the country. You'll find many people on this site are constantly working with several hospitals to determine who can work best and fastest. My wife was treated for stage 4 colon cancer at another cancer center (and yes, we looked at Mayo too) and the center we chose was hands on, on a near-twice daily basis as they onboarded her into their system. They wanted pathology too, but while we got that coordinated, we had already been meeting with the surgeon and doing scans in the meantime so that when pathology arrived, we were ready to go right away. Mayo is amazing and world-renowned, but its a very high volume facility and it's hard to move the needle there to get things done faster. Good luck. Msg me directly if you want more info on our approach.

• PegSue
    Options

We are in Cedar Falls, IA and Mayo is only 2 hrs North. I personally had a great experience with Stage 3b Anal cancer so he feels comfortable going up there. I think we also want him to have access to the latest and greatest and possibly clinical trials.

• sgold88
    sgold88 Member Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Sorry to hear you've gone through your own battle. Wishing you continued good health and all the best for your brother.

• Tueffel
    Tueffel Member Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Hello, welcome to the forum nobody wants to join.

I am sorry for your brothers diagnoses but cancer treatments are getting better.

Forgive me my question: I read through your initial post and I do not understand why they are doing a CT guided biopsy. You mentioned that the tumor is ileoceccal. This position is basically when the ileum (last part of small intestine) and cecum (large intestine, first part) meet. A normal colonoscopy should be able to reach the position. So I am wondering why not a colonoscopy?

For a normal pathology report, it will need around a week. For further testing, it will take longer. Unfortunately, it is difficult to determine treatment if you dont know exactly what you are treating.

Good luck

• PegSue
    Options

I’m honestly not sure why they suggested that route unless it was timing, staff/physician availability or possibly the prep. He’s been having a lot of pain and vomitting. I would have thought they’d prefer a biopsy of the primary site but ???