My endometrial cancer surgery

Options
anuradhashaw
anuradhashaw Member Posts: 11 Member

As promised I am updating here on the next step. I have been called in to;

1. to attend a Pre Admission Clinic ( PAC) on the 2nd of January
  2. The surgery is scheduled for the 8th of January.
  3. I was wondering what exactly happens at a pre-admission clinic?
  4. Do they do more tests and answer our questions?
  5. I have been given 4 hours for the PAC so I was wondering what happens at this time.

Comments

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 966 Member
    Options

It sounds like your team is right on it! A four hour appointment! It's hard to say what they will do. Things are a little different in Canada. I have Canadian relatives so I'm familiar with the Canadian system. I can say before my surgery scans were ordered. Also a EKG was ordered. If they are going to do these tests at that appointment it could add up to four hours. They might do a detailed history of your medical conditions. You will probably receive written instructions too. And the chance to ask questions. I hope you have read the posts above about preparing for surgery. They are very good, practical information and hints to make recovery go smoothly. DO move as much as they recommend. I found recovery quite easy, and I have an abdominal incision as well as the robotic incisions. They will also get. you to sign a consent form. I gave. my permission to do what my surgeon deemed necessary to give me the best outcome. I trusted her. And that is a lot of trust. I hope that helps.

Sue

• anuradhashaw
    Options

Thank you Sue!! I just completed a CT scan and the surgeon has already received it. The best thing here in Canada and particularly how the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre operates is that they post the test results on my portal within hours, sometimes I have it on my portal by the time it takes me to drive home afted my tests!!Anyway, thanks for the tip to check out the feedback from others as well. I have already compiled a set of questions and concern to get answered at the PAC!! I have already signed the documents they needed including giving my permission for blood infusion in case I needed it though the doc said it was only a remote possibility. We were extremely impressed with the oncology team and the surgeon assigned to me and so I give them my trust without reservation!! so I expect the hours assigned for the PAC would be mainly for answering our questions and concerns and may be get some blood chemistry and fresh ECG before going into surgery. Thanks for your pointers Sue. I will update after my PAC on the 2nd as it could be helpful information to another person in the group who may have the same questions. Thanks again,

• Forherself
    Options

Yes it is very helpful to those who follow us, to see your experience. Sounds like everything is in order.

• anuradhashaw
    Options

So I had my radical surgery on the 8th and it was laparoscopic and I was sent home that night. The surgery took 4 hours and I was sent to the recovery room and urged to empty my bladder to a required extent. It took hours and many visits to the loo to get to the required level of pee which they measured each time!!! Anyway, I am home for the past 4 days and feeling better each day more than the day before. I have not had to take the Tylenol for pain for the last 2 days. The incision in the belly button is painful and I clear it with peroxide as instructed after my shower every day. Other holes covered in steri strips are soon going to be shedding the strips.

I have been doing about 4000 steps around the house according to my Fitbit. No hard effort. Just light cooking and walking back and forth around the house.

Can anyone advise me if the peeing urge diminishes over time. I was peeing more frequently than before the surgery but today is better than yesterday and yesterday was better than the day before. Is this normal progression. I don’t have incontinence.

but a lot of my friends say they went through similar surgeries and are now facing a life of urinary incontinence.

pkease advise if I have anything to worry in this regard.

I will be having my follow up meeting with my surgeon on 8th Feb:

Thank you!!!

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

So good to hear the surgery went well. Remember you just had major surgery so things do take time in recovery.

Not funny was I have had a different experience from the robotic surgery. They wouldn't let me go home until I peed and had to 'think' how to pee to get going. I did not want to go home to cath, which is something a friend's mother had to do after her general surgery. Now I find that it takes me forever to pee. It is crazy. I have friends who joke when we spend too much time in the bathroom who say, "are you pooping?" that I can't explain just how long it takes me to urinate. Very frustrating.

Thank you for asking and bringing this up. We don't like to talk about it but we should. Just a few months ago someone at work who had a robotic hysterectomy slightly mentioned urination issues and I jumped right in on that. She had no idea she was not the only one.

Glad to hear you are recovering - please continue to be kind to yourself.

• Forherself
    Options

This is a good article about peeing after a hysterectomy. Another thing that happens is your bladder may have been pushed on by a large uterus and now the uterus is gone the bladder moves a little. But you could also have a bladder infection. Having the urge to pee all the time is a symptom. Maybe you should call your doctor and give them a sample.

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options

Sounds like you are doing great and taking good care of yourself. Also, I didn’t have any bladder problems after my surgery. Hopefully yours is just a bit annoyed from being jostled around.

• anuradhashaw
    Options

I was checking my pathology report from my laparoscopic hysterectomy and I find one area of concern.. Myometrial invasion of 10% and adenomyosis present but nig involved in carcinoma. Does this mean I will be given chemo and radiation treatment after my first post op meeting with my surgeon on 8th Feb:?

Is chemo/ radiation a standard protocol after this surgery? Could anyone share what to expect in terms of post surgery treatment protocols especially with myometrial invasion?

Thank you for all your support!!!

• Forherself
    Options

Can you tell us what type of cell you have? Endometrioid or serous or clear? It makes a difference. 10% invasion is stage 1 if that was all the cancer cells found.

• anuradhashaw
    Options

It says Endometrioid type , endometrial adenocarcinoma Figo Grade 1.

i wonder what that means? .

• Forherself
    Options

That is the slowest growing kind. I hope you can talk to your doctor soon.

• NoTimeForCancer
    Options

anuradashaw, your gyn onc will tell you what, if any, the plan is. Please be sure you let us know how that goes.

• anuradhashaw
    Options

Thank you so much.

i will update what the oncology team advises me on the 8th! Good to know it is the slowest kind of the disease!!!

Fingers crossed that the surgery is the end of my treatment!!

• anuradhashaw
    Options

Update!!

I met my Oncology surgery team at Princess Margaret. All good! Stage 1 Grade one cancer. All gone. No further treatment needed. No chemo or radiation. The laparoscopic incisions are healing beautifully. Two more weeks and I am free to travel and do whatever I like in moderation. Take it slow in gym for strength training for another month or so as intervals are still healing. No vaginal dryness or urinary issues. So it’s all good news. They will need to see me every six months with an ultrasound review for the next 5 years!! Meanwhile they want me to cover all bases with an endoscopy and a colonoscopy completed in a few months before my next meeting with the team in end July. Thanks everyone for your support and help through this scary phase of my life. If I can do anything to help others from my experience you only have to ask.

• Forherself
    Options

So happy for you. Thank you for coming back to share your news. It helps others who have to face what you did, and are.

• NoTimeForCancer
    Options

Great news!

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options

So pleased for you

• anuradhashaw
    Options

Thank you all so much for your good wishes and comforting support all through my scary cancer journey!!!

Along this journey I learned a few lessons:

1. It is up to us to safeguard our family’s mental health while we go through this. While they are ready to support us with love and care, any show of weakness from us upsets the natural equilibrium that ensures the stability of the family!!! While our body gives up on us, our mental strength needs to carry all of us! Stay strong folks ! It means everything for the loved ones standing with you!!
    2. I am an older woman and have led a successful professional life working around the world on jobs and assignments that were very rewarding. But…I have realized through this journey that the only asset that holds us all up at the end is the goodwill and good wishes of family, friends, far and near, and even total strangers who send good wishes through these pages and others!!! When good people spread their love and caring thoughts into the universe, the universe always answers!!!
    3. I now know that I will be sending good wishes and my goodwill into the universe to support everyone going through this journey.
    4. Most important of all, I want you all to know my deep, deep appreciation for everyone in this group, who explained things to me in simple words ( as the scientific jargon leaves me numb!!) and always sent me encouragement and good wishes. I could not have come through this without you.
    5. I go back to my oncology team in 6 months for a check up for the next 5 years.
    6. Meanwhile, take care everyone. Remember we are women in this journey and we are tougher than we think we are, more resilient than the world thinks we are, and stronger than this stupid disease thinks we are!!!
    7. Love and good wishes to all!!
  • Forherself
    Options

Thanks for sharing that. Yes we are tougher than we think. 😊