psa

Options
EmilioC
EmilioC Member Posts: 5 Member
edited December 2023 in Prostate Cancer #1

Hi i had radiation for a Gleason 7 cancer in 2013 , my psa nadir was .02 it has gone to 0. 3 and .0.4 and back down to .3 as i age , is this normal? Also i just recently had a PSA and it was 0.48 when 7 mos ago it was 0.3 ,i just remembered i had a cortisone shot in my hip 3 days before the PSA test, and i worked out 2 days before riding a stationary could these two things make PSA go up ? i saw my Dr he said he was not alarmed but was not happy with the trend and scheduled an MRI . Could this possibly be a resurgence or a false alarm created by the steroid shot?

Thanks

Comments

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

Hi,

From what I understand your PSA will jump around because radiation does not kill the whole Prostate, just the area at & around the target point. Riding a stationary bike from what I have heard could raise your PSA as could having sex right before your PSA blood test. If it was me I would wait a few more PSA tests to see if settles down.

Dave 3+4

• EmilioC
    Options

Thanks Dave ,I'm hoping even though it's still low 10 years afteri worry

. I did haveca cortizone shop in my hip 3 days before and I have heard that can affect a blood test

Thanks for your kindness

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

Hi,

If your looking for metastatic cancer I would go with a PSMA PET scan, it’s very sensitive to picking up escaped cancer rather than a MRI.

Dave 3+4

• EmilioC
    Options

He doesn't think it' that, he said he wasn't alarmed just wanted to check it out it's been at .4 before and gone down also like you said working out hard for 3 days and waiting a day for the blood test and getting a cortisone shot 3 days before might have increased testosterone therefore the jump. ? Thanks again

• EmilioC
    Options

He did make the mri prostate specific, I'm nervous but fairly confident. Thanks again