Thanking All of You and Wishing You a Happy Holiday Season

Options
Harmanygroves
Harmanygroves Member Posts: 486 Member
edited December 2023 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

Hello, friends--

Today I had a check up in at OHSU--Oregon health sciences university. I see Dr. Munro there, a great oncologist for me. The difference between my first cancer clinic--Compass Oncology--and OHSU is like night and day. Night being a dark, scary place; day being a bright, cheerful place where my questions are answered.

In March of 2021, I was diagnosed with Stage 1, grade 1b(ish) adenocarcinoma, with 83 percent LVSI and LUS. I think I'm remembering all of this correctly, but I've removed my brain from trying to be its own worst enemy. I am currently disease free, and it's been two years and five months since my last of five brachytherapy treatments.

I wanted to swing by and say a quick hi, and how much I love and appreciate the women here. My appointment today was good---clean tissue, all fine. I can use the dilator only twice a month now, to keep the cobwebs out, ha ha, said my doctor.

Having a CT scan soon, to be on the safe side. Been having some cramping. I might just be eating too much. I've been kind of depressed lately. All is okayish though.

Best

Deb

Comments

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 966 Member
    Options

So nice to hear from you. Prayers your scan is A ok. Seems the holidays are a time for highs and lows of emotion. I hope you can find your happy place! Two and a half years. Congratulations. Stay in touch.

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options

My best to you also. I’m trusting everything turns out aok in your ct scan.

• littlex
    littlex Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Hi Deb This is the 2nd time that I’m posting I’ve been reading this forum for almost 3 years I finally registered last week

Congrats on being NED almost 2 1/2 years and counting. I understand that you are anxious about getting a CT scan, it's a very natural emotion when dealing with this dreadful disease. Just try to visualize that it will all go well, and you can continue enjoying life. Let's face it, once we were diagnosed, life is never quite as carefree, fear of a reoccurrence is (I think) always in the back of our minds, especially when we have our check- ups. But remember, not all aches and pains are cancer related.

I just had my 3 Year anniversary from the date of my robotic radical hysterectomy December 10, 2020.

I had endometrial cancer stage 1A grade 2 I had 5 brachytherapy treatments Feb 2021 I was just released by my radiation oncologist the next and perhaps last check up is with my surgeon was scheduled a few weeks ago, I had to cancel due to my getting pneumonia. Then my hope is I can go back to my regular gynecologist.

I wish you the best, stay safe, stay healthy, and enjoy life. I've read some of your stories, you are a very talented writer.

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options

Oh, Dear Deb! I’m so glad to see you pop up here! I’ve been thinking of sending you a message! I’m thrilled to hear that you’re 2 1/2 years NED now! Cobwebs….you’re always so funny!

I’m sorry you are feeling down. I think the anticipation of the scans can do that to all of us! It’s horrible….especially waiting for the report. I always feel like there are a dozen people in the world who know the results, but I don’t! You can do it!

I don’t know if you’ve caught any of my posts about lung cancer. I haven’t posted here in a while, but here’s my advice: It is a total waste of time to worry about a recurrence! I spent 2 1/2 years doing that and a new cancer popped up! I wasn’t worried about that! My ONC was so concerned with parts south of my navel and so unconcerned about parts north, that he had no part in the diagnosis! I was under the care of an ONC for more than 3 years and was not diagnosed by him! I was Stage IIIB NCSLC at diagnosis.

I was treated this time by MD Anderson. They absolutely deserve the sterling reputation they enjoy! I had 3 rounds of an immunotherapy drug, plus two chemo drugs (almost NO hair loss this time, and only suffered crushing fatigue). In July I had 2 tumors in my right middle lobe and 2 metastatic lymph nodes. October PET? Nothing! I had surgery in November to remove right middle lobe and they took 13 lymph nodes. Pathology report had NO cancer. All nodes negative and no viable tumors. AMAZING! They didn’t “get it all,” because there was nothing to “get!” They don’t want to see me ‘til May! They fixed me!

So, worrying about the stupid Fallopian tube cancer coming back was a total waste of my time! It didn’t matter! I just think that we all worry that bad things will happen, and littlex is right…..cancer patients can never enjoy a no cancer to worry about kind of existence again…it’s always there, but I worried about something that didn’t happen and was punched in the face by a completely different thing! Of course, this happens to all of us, all the time, it’s just not usually a second primary cancer!

Deb, I hope your scan proves you’re NED! 😘

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas! And Happy Holidays! We are all so lucky to be here!

❌⭕️❌⭕️, A

• MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Hi Deb,

It's good to hear from you and glad things are going well. Good luck with your upcoming CT scan. Regarding your cramping issues which you think might be due to overeating, it might be worth touching base with your gastroenterologist if the discomfort persists. This past spring I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and found out all sorts of new issues I have that I never would have known about had I not gotten the tests. The only symptom I had was intermittent swallowing difficulty. Incidentally, this was my 6th colonoscopy and the first ever to find the type of polyp that could eventually have become cancerous if not removed. As A said in her post above, we need to focus on the whole package as in many cases the things we're worrying about never happen, but some other surprise malady is waiting in the wings to pay us a visit!

Happy Holidays and a Healthy, Happy 2024!

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

Hello everyone. Good to see you all, and Deb, I am sorry to hear how you are feeling. Of course, it is completely understandable, and we are always here for eachother, but please talk to someone if you should not feel like you are climbing out of that hole. (Sometimes it just feels that way, right?)

I know the board runs hot and cold, and a few of us come here often to see if there is a new lady who needs a shoulder, but I love to see our previously treated sisters and their families.

Hugs everyone. ❤️❤️❤️

• Ribbons
    Ribbons Member Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I’m glad to hear you are doing well but I have to take issue with you about Compass Oncology. I’m sorry you had a bad experience. I am also 5 years cancer free and I owe it to my wonderful Dr at Compass Oncology. Please don’t judge the whole facility by one bad apple.

• Harmanygroves
    Options

I'm glad you've had a great experience at Compass Oncology. However, my oncologist began an exam on me without gloves, and said he was going to 'open the curtains' as he touched me with his bare hands. At that point, I asked him to put gloves on. Initially, he argued, noting that OB/GYN's didn't use to have to use gloves. However, he realized I was not going to let him examine me further and he put gloves on. Let's say that this initial exam set the tone for the rest of my experience. Pain issue? I was patronized and made to feel like I had a problem. Questions? Let us worry about that. Why would a woman ask questions about her body, her cancer? Let us worry about that.

In brief, as a retired high school teacher and a publisher, as well as an 'owner' of my body, I was deeply offended and traumatized with my experience at Compass Oncology West, in Tigard. I have come to understand that other women have also had encounters with the same doctor. He is old-school in the worst possible ways. I will make no apology for my letters to his boss, and his Yelp review that I took plenty of time to write. I did not hold back.

I can not rate Compass Oncology's entire medical staff, but I can say that my experience with Compass Oncology has cost me a lot of blood, sweat, and tears---and I was in the horrible position of having to shop for a new cancer team when I was recently post-op, and still needed radiation treatments.

We all must take care of ourselves, and I will not be silenced. If I can help one woman by sharing my horrible treatment at the hands of my first gyn Onc, I'm happy to do that.

• Harmanygroves
    Options

You are a cheerful inspiration! I have such deep respect for you!