Newbie here. So glad to have found this!

Options
bigenna
bigenna Member Posts: 5 Member
edited December 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

It’s all just happening right now. Saw my doctor for inverted nipple/misshapen breast/twinges of pain in late October. One appointment with Breast doctor mid November, MAMMO followed by ultrasound same day. Dr went from - oh likely just cysts to scheduling core biopsy because looks like cancer. I get the core biopsy this afternoon then up to two weeks to discuss test results and come up with treatment plan. Two month whirlwind of emotions so far.

I’m so terrified of the procedure itself, never mind the possible outcomes. I’m told the numbing injections feel like a bee sting. Quick prick, little burning sensation, over quickly. Then I’ll be so numb the actual biopsy will not hurt.

From my experiences with hospital procedures these last years (colonoscopy , cystoscopy), anytime I hear the words “minimal pain” or “a little uncomfortable “ I now know I must have the lowest pain tolerance ever because it’s always far worse. I spent hours yesterday trying to get hold of my family doctor (no success - she is off until tomorrow) then talking to the breast health clinic to see if I could get conscious sedation for the procedure, but they do not offer that. I’m told that I can’t take Ativan prior to at least reduce the anxiety because I need to be able to sign consents. I have a couple of leftover Ativan that my Doctor gave me months ago when I was getting dental surgery and I said to the nurse that I still would be able to comprehend and she replied that what I was told is the official word. When I said that I could take one and just not mention it she replied, “there is that”. So my take is they won’t know if I don’t say anything.

Sorry for the long ramble - very glad for what everyone has shared and feel like I’m not alone.

Comments

• bigenna
    Options

Well I made it through the core biopsy a few days ago. I did take 1 mg Ativan, which helped to reduce my anxiety and the nurse and radiologist (both male) couldn’t have been kinder.

if there is anyone out there dreading this first step like me I’d like to assure you that it is a bit uncomfortable, but manageable. The numbing injections, while stinging, were not anything excruciating and each one was of short duration. I did feel the pressure others have mentioned during the biopsy. I only had two. The first was scary but not really painful. The second one I thought I felt more and when I mentioned that he said he was finished already. Such a relief.

Now it has been 3 days and I have to wait 13 more days to get the final result, though from what the Surgeon had already said there is not much doubt that it is cancer. Ultrasound showed 2.1 X 1.4 X 1.2 mass.

• LovesPrimes
    LovesPrimes Member Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Hi, @bigenna !

I am so very glad you got through this part so well and welcome to these boards. I'm sorry for the reason that you are here but glad to "meet" you and share in your journey.

I feel bad for not responding to this when I saw your first post earlier in the week, but I didn't want to scare you and I know everyone has such a range of experiences. My MRI-guided biopsy was somewhat traumatic for me. Like you, all the technicians, etc. were super kind and tried to help me in every way they could, but the biopsy itself was painful and I hurt for weeks afterward. So, again, I'm very happy to hear that you got through it so well.

Please keep us updated as your plan comes together and feel free to ask/discuss anything. We care about each other here on these boards.

God bless!

• bigenna
    edited December 2023 #4
    Options

(Copied from a separate post of mine. Sorry, new to all this)

I had my core biopsy 6 days ago. My next appointment is to confirm the suspected diagnosis of cancer. That is to be on December 28th.

My breast still a bit tender, which I expected, but I’m having this strange feeling that my inverted nipple is being pulled from within causing little shooting pains. It’s not excruciating and only intermittent but I can’t help but feeling scared about what is happening inside by body. 

Have any of you felt this?

This waiting for the appointment is the hardest, but I know I’ll likely have a lot of that in the future, so I’m trying really hard to be patient. Reading on this board has been helpful and I’m looking forward to connecting with some of you as this frightening journey continues.

• Sergai
    Sergai Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Good luck with your diagnosis and treatment, if you have BC. I was tentatively diagnosed 2 years ago shortly before Thanksgiving and had to wait until December to get results. It's bad timing, but try to enjoy Christmas since getting stressed doesn't help. I ended up having HER-, ER, PR+ which is the most common. I have early stage 2 since one of 3 lymph nodes was positive. The hospital had a social worker visit who said waiting is the hardest part. I didn't believe her since I thought getting results would be bad. Well, here I am 2 years later. I have a 6 month follow-up and my 67th birthday in January. I've been clear so far. We are happy to answer questions, although I'm not an expert. It didn't surprise me too much since both my Mother and sister were diagnosed at an early age.