anastrozole oral side effects

Options
jgjackieg
jgjackieg Member Posts: 3 Member
edited March 13 in Breast Cancer #1

Stage 4 BC 2 years as go Had a double mastectomy and surgery seems to be successful.  Am currently on anastrozole and after visiting the dentist he informed me that my jaw bone is deteriorated 8x the normal rate for my age.  Since then I've had 2 crowns break and a bridge fall out.  I've been trying to get medical to approve a referral to an oral surgeon due to the side effects of the medication with no luck. 6 months! Any suggestions.???

Comments

• LovesPrimes
    LovesPrimes Member Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Hi, @jgjackieg

I can't make any suggestions but I'll be following here to hear what others have to say as I started anastrozole in September and need to be on it 5-10 years.

• LifeInBloom100
    LifeInBloom100 Member Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Goodness -- @jgjackieg - I'm so sorry to hear about the dental. I have been told by my medical oncologist Anastrozole can cause bone loss, and that it's a typical effect. I have solid bones everywhere but in both hips, where I have some onset of Osteopenia (a precursor to Osteoporosis), so my doctor is going to discuss medication to thwart bone loss or help increase bone density, with me. Perhaps look into this with yours?

I am currently on Lupron injections to suppress my ovaries and cause menopause abruptly (I have my regular menstrual cycle still) and then will also be on Anastrozole for 10 years.

🙄

• LifeInBloom100
    Options

@jgjackieg - By the way, I am so grateful to hear you're managing and thriving, effects or treatment notwithstanding. I also know of a woman in my neighborhood who was diagnosed with MBC 4+ years ago and she is living a very full life. I pray a cure is on the horizon for us all.

• jgjackieg
    Options

There's hope. After 6.5 months I finally got a hold of a woman thru my insurance that told me her mom went thru the same thing and she got into the industry to try to do what she can to make sure no one would have to endure that drama. She over road the system and I'm suppose to be getting a referral to an oral oncologist. I cried I was so happy. I'll keep you posted!!

• CornellDeville
    CornellDeville Member Posts: 14 Member
    Options

My wife took anastrozole for a long time and fortunately didn't encounter this issue. I thought it was Xgeva that caused the jawbone issues. Are you taking that also? I hope it gets resolved soon.

• Lynn65
    Lynn65 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I was diagnosed stage 2A and have been in anastrazole for over 14 years. I suffer massive bone loss and my teeth are falling out of my head with really bad eyesight issues. If anyone can suggest where I can get an oral surgeon to help remove all the broken teeth and get dentures. I'm having recurring teeth infections and having issues recovering from them. Need to get these teeth out quickly before it becomes deadly and I have no dental insurance only Medicare and I truly can't afford to pay. Anyone able to help me find help and someone that will take payments for her won't make me lose everything I have, please I'm getting desperate now

thank you

Lynn NJ

• jgjackieg
    Options

Lynn, I feel your pain and frustration. Mine is getting worse by the day and no one at united health care seems to care. My dentist even wore a letter correlating what he feels the medication is doing to my my oral health. I've recently had 3 additional teeth extracted and an infection in my jaw that I had to have treated immediately. I got our approval but now am out 1800 dollars that they've refused to reimburse because the doctor didn't get the pure approval from them. 1800.00 doesn't mean much to most but when one is on disability, it's a lot of money. Haven't had solid foods in 8 months now and can't start the shots for bone growth until my dental issues are taken care of. Basically I stay in the medication and have my jaw bone disintegrate or stop taking it and have the cancer return. My only glimmer of hope is the cancer society called me this am and they're looking into any help that they can provide. Keep the faith and know you're not alone! Every day is a blessing and we have to stay strong and fight the fight! Prayers.

Jackie

• EmpressSammi
    EmpressSammi Member Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I am troubled by what i am reading about this drug. I just started Anastrozole 1mg, I believe this is my 2nd week. I too developed Osteopenia due to my chemo treatment. I am on the above drug now for the next 7-10yrs, with Zomta shots every 6months (Bone density loss drug.) Its put through my Port takes about 15 mins once they do my blood work. (Check Kidney Function.) Reading these posts kinda scare me, i know we are all different so, what some may experience others won't still.... I wish everyone who is on this drug the best of luck.

• LovesPrimes
    Options

@EmpressSammi and others who may see this thread in the future: some people experience terrible side effects of anastrozole as you can see above. Maybe I will too but so far I'm experiencing the most common ones, joint pain, hot flashes. HOWEVER, please keep in mind for this forum and other online forms, someone who has a bad experience is far, far more likely to come to a forum like this than someone who doesn't have serious problems. There really are LOTS of people out there who don't experience side effects or their side effects are minimal and/or manageable. We just don't hear from them. So, if your doctor wants you to take anastrozole, please keep an open mind and see how your body does with it. I wish all of us healthy!

Note: I was first on Tamoxifen and found it to be crushing. I was severely fatigued ALL the time and that combined with terrible brain fog made me worry about my ability to work (and I'm the primary income in our household). So, again *so far*, I do have side effects with anastrozole but feel a hundred times better than when on Tamoxifen. For all of us, the goal for our care team is to find an anti-cancer drug that we can tolerate long term.

• LifeInBloom100
    Options

Confession: I may have realized I am finding your voice particularly resonant and "stabilizing," if this makes any sense. 🤷‍♀️ I recall your diagnoses and subsequent treatments and ongoing process in detail. And I think because mine is (not in exactity, but, close) similar and with similar timing - plus, that your input seems equal parts pragmatic and experiential - it supports my own uncertainties and provides a little clarity to my experience.

By the way, I have 5 more radiation treatments (21 down) to the left chest go with tissue expanders, and yeah, I'm having to take a dark red parallelogram across it down to a pink lady apple-hue daily with 5 creams/ointments I mix, 4 times daily. My back is also burned right over the (small, delicate) tattoo I JUST got for the 1st time ever last year above my blade. And following this hoopla I begin Anastrozole and resume the Lupron shots I had to pause to get through all of this.

I had a very stoic medical oncologist and researched and found another experienced one at the same hospital I feel infinitely comfortable with. This change, along with the new decades-older friend I met at the radiation clinic and now check in with daily during his prostate cancer journey-solo, has given me a will I was depleted of even before diagnosis.

I know you @LovePrimes are about a month into your recovery from your reconstruction, yes? How are you doing? Are drains close to being removed? How are you doing, if I might ask?

• EmpressSammi
    EmpressSammi Member Posts: 19 Member
    Options

😃😂 I think that is funny lifebloom, i feel the same way about you. It is funny how we have similar experiences. Its always good to hear from you. I must try to be on her more offten, i do love the way people come here no matter their experiences to help, to guide, to comfort, reassure, and to uplift. Blessings to you all

• LovesPrimes
    Options

@LifeInBloom100 Thank you for the compliment. It actually means a great deal at the moment. I am a mathematician and I have been mostly objective and logical about most things in life (much to the consternation of many loved ones). But I feel like, when it comes to breast cancer, I have been overly emotional and, at times, irrational. I literally grew up watching my aunts die from breast cancer and then lost my sister and mother 18 months apart in grad school. (Sister to ovarian and mother to breast.) So, a lifetime of cancer-related trauma has clearly fed into my response to my own breast cancer experience. Maybe if I’m becoming a “stabilizing” voice, it means my two “selves” are reconciling?

I am now 30 days out from DIEP surgery and still have 1 of the original 4 drains in. I’m frustrated but output has finally dropped below their desired level so they should take it out at my post-op appointment Tuesday. I have two family members in the house that tested positive for Covid but I tested negative. Hoping I continue to avoid it.

Overall, I’m doing okay. It’s a tough surgery and recovery. They were not lying. But I’m taking meds less often. I’m getting around a little more. And, with feeling a little more of my brain coming back, I’m going to try some more intellectual pursuits in my remaining four weeks of leave. I’ve recently come to terms with the fact that though I’m off work for 8 weeks, my recovery is going to take much, much longer. And, of course, it will be a couple more months before we can determine if revision surgery is needed.

Wishing you the best as you continue to heal and recover!

• RocDocVic
    RocDocVic Member Posts: 81 Member
    Options

If you can document that the bone loss is due to chemo and cancer treatment meds Medicare may pay for teeth extraction and dentures. Documentation from dentist, and Oncologist that shows this is known side effect would help. Call Medicare and talk with them. Ask exactly what they need from your dentist and Oncologist.

• ladyrox1
    ladyrox1 Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I am sorry to hear about all the issues experienced with Anastrozole 1mg.

I was put on it for 5 yr minimum. I’m on my 3rd week, with no symptoms.

i take right before getting into bed each night.

my doctor gave suggestions: weight bearing exercises, weights, yoga, stretch Pilates, ballroom dance all the things I already normally did, along with eating healthy (NO sugar and No alcohol), as that will cause inflammation in body, as I already have osteopenia, arthritis in lower back and left hip. Meditation and nature walks it’s interesting how all that works together along with thinking . my doctor will check kidney and more bloodwork in 4 months, bone density every 2 yrs,

a friend of family, much older than me had taken it and completed her 5 years and is doing great and also had no symptoms. So that gave me hope after reading some of the possible issues, some are having with it.

also, my doctor reminded me that IF my first one given Anastrozole didn’t work for me there’s two more. Also, I read they may cause raised cholesterol. Which I struggle with so letting my doctor know that these are my concerns- were helpful in her giving me this one first vs the others. Each case is different make sure one is proactive, and checked along the way.

Well, I do hope all experiencing issues and or side effects get the information and help you need to feel better asap.

• LifeInBloom100
    Options

Hey there -- I'm jotting a quick note to wish you a continued negative-test for Covid and that 4th and final drain hopefully OUT on Tuesday. I have a red-hot trapezoid across my chest (and I've burned through to my back), as I completed my 26th rads-round yesterday, so I'll be back to check in on some additional shares you've made, soon.

I can understand the BC-centric one-degree history's frightening. That said - you are YOU. And your body is unique to you, and what you fuel it with (body and mind) may make the impact you'll (and we all) thrive from. It takes a while to believe. But I hope (if they are) those half-authentic mantras become real to you and you remind yourself that every day is an opportunity to live life. I'd bet calm follows. We've got this.

• MisMishell04
    MisMishell04 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I am on Anastrozole and have been since 2021, I also take Lutron injections and Zometa infusions. Anyone experienced severe depression, brain fog, and bone pain?

• Mr_Kings
    Mr_Kings Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

So this medication my wife has been on it for about 9-10 months. She has (BPD) Borderline Personality Disorder which has never been fully under control because people with that condition never believe there’s something wrong with them but there’s something wrong with everyone else. So therapy has never lasted more than one or two visits before she quits and accuses the therapist of being a “kook”. Since being on anastrazole, she has expressed some symptoms such as depression, fatigue, tiredness, headaches etc. What our daughter and I have been experiencing is a severe change in attitude and behavior which we haven’t experienced since her menopause years.

Now, anyone who has bpd or lives with one, can attest to the emotional roller coaster that is associated with living with a BP. I have become extremely concerned that the anastrazole is responsible for the increased mental changes. Recently, I discovered she was having an affair to which even today she claims she wasn’t doing anything wrong because she didn’t have sex Typical trait of BPs, they don’t see anything wrong with a lot of the hurtful behaviors they just blame others for their actions. This isn’t the only thing that has happened but the worst. So if ANYONE has any knowledge on how anastrazole and other estrogen blockers affect the brain and people with certain psychological disorders, please, please let me know. I have reached out to her oncologist and hopefully I’ll get a response and not the run around. Thank you

• MisMishell04
    MisMishell04 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I’m so sorry to hear that, and everything you are going through. Yes I think the hormones Definitely have something to do with the behavior. Being on these hormones is killing me. So much so I am going to ask my oncologist if I can come off them and what that will mean for my cancer reoccurring. I wish you all the luck in the world!

• perkyparrot
    perkyparrot Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

I recently had a bad tooth infection after being on Anastrozole for only months. I’m thankful to all of you for bringing this to light for me. I just didn’t connect the tooth infection to the anastrozole. I really hope medical science finds a way to correct this problem. I’m sorry you’re going through this too. I’m praying for us both and for everyone at csn battling this.

• Cariem
    Cariem Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I started with Letrozole last year. After 2 months, I had severe joint pain so my onco switched me to Anastrozole. 2 months after taking that, I had severe bone pain in my left arm, I thought I was having a heart attack so I stopped taking it and my symptoms disappeared. My onco then suggested I try Exemastane. 2 months after using that I felt an uncomfortable tightness and pain on the left side of my chest which after explaining the symptoms, she said to stop taking it bec it may be affecting my heart. I am at a cross roads and am not sure what to do now. I don't like the feeling of sacrificing other organs and and bones for this medication. And of course, I don't want the cancer to return. I am looking into alternative therapies and just curious if anyone else has tried this route.