Cervical cancer

Options

Hi. I was told 12/1/23 I have cervical cancer and to go to a gynecologist to find out what stage I am. I’ve been extremely terrified given I have a 3 year old. I only went to the hospital due to severe pelvic pain and shortness of breath. I’ve been having these pelvic pains for over 2 weeks along with getting my period a week after I got off my normal period. That’s been happening the past couple months. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

sky, as you can see, it is a little quiet on this page and I am a visitor from the Uterine page and cannot provide you any assistance. It is completely understandable to be terrified an I think SHARE Cancer Support may be a better place to give you information and support. You want - need - information. Hugs dear mom

https://www.sharecancersupport.org/cervical-cancer/

• kxiong
    kxiong Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

Write down all of your questions for the doctor as they come into your head so that you don't forget to ask during the appointment. Also write down your symptoms regarding how frequent, how severe, and how long they last. Don't Google too much. I liked reading other patients' experiences, but try not to look at sites like WebMD as it'll probably just freak you out. There are some accounts on Instagram where cervical cancer patients (i.e. @cervical_cancer_warrior) outline their cancer journey. I found these really helpful to have an idea of what to expect on the treatment journey.

• LibleLady
    LibleLady Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I don't know if this will help as I do not have any children and am beyond conceiving as I am 73. But just to say I was diagnosed with cervical cancer stage 3C in March following various tests having begun last November with a sudden "torrential vaginal bleed". I had been suffering extreme lower back pain, depression and fatigue for several years but had thought it was due to psychological trauma as I have been dealing with the long-term effects of repressed child abuse in psychotherapy for decades and am used to physical pain often associated with mental and emotional pain. The tumour was 5.2 x 4.7 x 4.2 cms. I was put through a "radical and aggressive" course of treatment (12 x chemo's over 12 weeks, radiotherapy 5 days concurrently a week for five weeks then five days in hospital for brachytherapy) which I was told was intended to be curative. In mid-September I was told all signs of the cancer (which had also spread to the left lymph glands) were completely gone. I was told to expect the side effects of the treatments to worsen before I felt better, for up to six months or a year. I have recently been told I am however "high risk" - and in January will be told the results of a recent PET-CT scan. I had been aware that the cancer can return with everyone, but had not known I was considered "high risk" which was a shock. I now await the results - but am hopeful and have been amazed, as has everyone, that such a large tumour which had also spread to the lymph glands and was 3C, could simply disappear - but that is what I was told has happened. I have continued to feel exhausted and a bit bruised and heavy lower abdominal pain and intermittent bowel disturbance but am hugely better than this time last year. I can understand that you are terrified and am shocked that you had to go to a gynaecologist to find out what stage you are at. I don't know what country you are in but my treatment and appointments in the UK have been so fast and efficient and I was incredibly kindly taken care of all through the treatments. I have written this in hope of being of some encouragement that even an advanced stage can and does recover. I have since July used the vaginal dilator every second day and in the last two weeks there has been some watery pink liquid left on the dilator which has been worrying but on googling it, it looks like noting to be worried about so that is the only problem visibly remaining at the moment. I wish you luck with your ongoing investigation and treatment. And a hug and prayer that you will find your way ahead with excellent medical care and support and peace and find your healing.

• klh1907
    klh1907 Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

I was diagnosed with cervical cancer 10/22. It was stage 2A. I had 5 chemos - 25 radiation and 5 brachytherapy. My brachytherapy was all out patient. My last treatment was 2/23. My cancer is in remission. I am told I have a 15% chance of reoccurrence. To the women using the dilator, I think you’re using it too much. You’re irritating the tissue that’s why the pink when you wipe. My oncologist says the radiation leaves the tissue thin. Good luck to all.

• babykay
    babykay Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I am a caregiver for my daughter who refused to go to the gynecologist for years. She had recently started heavy bleeding like she was going through the change of life. Lots of abdominal and lower back pain; anemia; falling a lot. I told her over and over to go get check out by the OBGYN. She finally got so weak that she had no choice. Ambulance took her to the hospital ER. Her blood pressure was 60/40; all her vitals were extremely low. They did a CT Scan. The doctor came in and just blurted out, "you have cervical cancer and it's metastasized, I'm so sorry!"

All this happened 3 days before her 50th birthday. We started treatments immediately. Doctor said it's Stage 4. It made me angry at her for refusing to get tested. Now I'm just praying to God that she will have the strength to make it through chemo.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

Oh babykay, I cannot imagine how overwhelming this all is for your family. Our caregivers are part of this journey as well. Hugs dear one.