Persistent SCC on my ear

Options
airborne72
airborne72 Member Posts: 296 Member
edited December 2023 in Skin Cancer #1

I've had BCC and SCC appearing on my face, head and neck for over 10 years. Depending upon the frequency of its recurrence I visit my dermatologist every three months or every six months. Treatment regimen has included cutting, burning, freezing the sites or applying the 5fu ointment.

Three years ago a BCC became invasive so I was referred to a plastic surgeon who expertly excised the tumor by digging a large hole on the side of my temple and then grafting some skin from my chest to fill the hole. At first the result was grotesque but within weeks it almost became unnoticeable. I was impressed with the surgeon's skill and the ability of the human body to rapidly recover. The attached picture is truly worth a thousand words.

To date, that tumor has not returned but I have developed another one on the other side of my head that is unique. About two years ago I developed a small area of actinic keratosis on the outside of my ear but close to the opening of the ear canal. After blasting it with liquid nitrogen, my dermatologist mentioned in passing that I didn't want to develop cancer in my ear. Her comment remained in my mind for two reasons (one, nobody really wants to grow skin cancer and two, what is so concerning about skin cancer in your ear). Soon thereafter I conducted a Google search and discovered that the real issue is the possibility of the skin cancer invading the ear canal and then migrating inside the skull.

Six months later the lesion was back and she froze it once again. However, it returned with a vengeance soon thereafter. During that office visit she looked at it and immediately took a biopsy. Confident that her visual assessment was correct and that I was the proud host of yet another SCC, she explained the treatment options. One option was Moh's surgery and the other was low dose radiation. The biopsy was positive for SCC. I opted for the ERT and subsequently underwent 17 sessions of radiation treatment (twice a week for two months). At the end of the "zapping"in early August of this year my SCC disappeared.

I returned to the clinic for my routine, periodic exam in late October. During that visit my dermatologist prescribed the use of the 5fu ointment on my scalp since I had so many lesions up there. While I had her attention I mentioned that I thought the radiation treatment had failed to get all of the lesion in my ear. She affirmed my suspicion and told me to apply the ointment to my ear as well as my scalp. So for the month of November I looked unusual with large red spots on my head and felt uncomfortable alternating between burning and itching.

Alas, my ointment treatment regimen has ended but the lesion in my ear is still there. I am scheduled for an office visit later this week and I am suspicious that I will be once again presented with the option of radiation or Moh's surgery. I'm leaning towards Moh's surgery. Anyone out there had it performed on your ear?

Jim (cancer survivor X 3 - prostate, colorectal and skin)

Comments

• Mulligan45
    Mulligan45 Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Hey, Jim, wow more power to you. Hope that you are doing well. I had a Mohs procedure on my ear about a month ago and am kind of surprised that your doc hasn’t tried it sooner. The cure rate seems to be really high.

My SCC was superficial and on the outside of my ear lobe. So far the doc has said everything looks good but I am afraid that it may return, thought the cure rate for Mohs on ears seems be very high.

I would get the advice of a dermatology surgeon and see what they say. Hope that you find a good doc and can get this fix for good.