Radiation Update

Options
EmpressSammi
EmpressSammi Member Posts: 19 Member
edited January 28 in Breast Cancer #1

I have now undergone 12 treatments my 13th is tomorrow, I find myself counting the treatments till it's over. It's not too bad, the hour drive there sticks to only have treatment for 10 mins. i am going through Jan 2024. As of Thanksgiving I began to have some problems with eating, this morning i ate some scrambled eggs it was not easy. I guess I'll need to figure out what to eat and not eat. The doc tells me he hopes it won't get worse. So far my skin looks good, so that is a plus. I'm still having pain and it's because i am still healing from my surgery and now the radiaition adds to it. Still doing my best to stay positive and keep my spirits up. I go for some kind of CT scan on the 5th and i'll have to fast and drink some stuff the night before lol, everyone just loves doing that. I am getting External Beam therapy when my treatment is done i'll be getting 5 boost treatments. Sometimes you feel like your alone in this journey that no one gets you or what you have to go through, today i think is just one of those days for me. I do know that i am not alone and that people or family get and understand, it is just that i have been through a lot just to get here, its been a very hard year.

i wish all of you the best on your journys I am glad i found this place. GOd Bless and be safe

Comments

• LovesPrimes
    LovesPrimes Member Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Hugs, @EmpressSammi !! You are amazing and strong and you WILL get through this! I agree that this year has been very hard. I tell people I give 2023 0 out of 5 stars. But joking aside, we can grieve our losses and be sad about all the suckiness of this journey AT THE SAME TIME as finding new and wonderful things to be deeply grateful for, things maybe we were taking for granted for a long time. I'm praying that you see some of those wonderful things today and feel encouraged. Psalm 27:13-14

• EmpressSammi
    Options

Thank you loves prime

• Calmspirit
    Calmspirit Member Posts: 32 Member
    edited December 2023 #4
    Options

Express Sammi thanks for posting about your experience. I have my set up on Tuesday and am supposed to start radiation Wednesday.

I am nervous about the unknown. Like you I will do just over an hours drive each day. Thankfully our winter is late this year. Also am not totally healed from surgery, in fact still have glue.. keep hoping for the best.

I wish you well.

CS

• RocDocVic
    RocDocVic Member Posts: 81 Member
    Options

That seems quick for start of radiation. From what I've read it seams they give the patient 3-4 weeks to heal from surgery. You may have appointments with the radiologist to determine what the treatment approach will be and to get tattoos in place, but actual start is afterwards. This is the approach I was told by my surgeon. Each place seems to be different though.

• Calmspirit
    Calmspirit Member Posts: 32 Member
    Options

It will be 4 weeks Monday since surgery.. I'm just a slow healer sometimes... Tuesday is supposed to be a setup, get ready appointment for Wednesday..of course that could change..

• EmpressSammi
    Options

Sorry this is such a late response. I wish you the best in your journey.

• EmpressSammi
    Options

I AM DONE!!!!! JANUARY 10, 2023 Radio Grad Date!!!! YAY!!!! They gave me a certificate, a beautiful pink rose and, they let me ring theπŸ””. It was a great day that i had no energy to celebrate but who cares it was finally over. I did get a B-12 shot as a parting gift πŸ˜„. ( wish they could give you a double on that) In one day I went from Radio oncology to medical, I was just anxious to get started on the next phase, so it can be done faster. Now the next phase, Anastrozole 7-10 yrs. I have a follow up with πŸ“»οΈ oncology on the 15th of next month. My skin is looking so much better, i still have some discoloration but its getting better. I do think under my arm will stay discolored, its a bit dark under there.

IF your still going through πŸ“»οΈ treatment, there is hope it ends quicker then you know even if it feels never ending. Good luck I know you can get through it.

On a funny note, i think in the beginning i made my techs uncomfortable. Unless it was doctor day i would not disrobe ahead of time. I saw it as a massive waste of time. They did get used to it. I figure hey your going to see em anyways why cover em, let them breathe before you cook em. 🀣

• LovesPrimes
    LovesPrimes Member Posts: 95 Member
    Options

@EmpressSammi SO HAPPY FOR YOU to have this stage behind you. Thank you for sharing such wonderful news!!

• LifeInBloom100
    LifeInBloom100 Member Posts: 51 Member
    Options

That is a HECK of a feat --- congratulations. I know what you've been through - I'm nearing the end of my "neon" sessions myself. Next Thursday is the final burn. I've gotten a kick out of the poems nurses had out to those finishing up, as their ring their bells. I won't be performing myself, but I will acknowledge to myself that this too, has passed.

So happy you're on the road to full healing. πŸ‘

• EmpressSammi
    Options

That is awesome!! I'm very happy for you. I know you will be glad it's all over. Is that your final phase or the end of one to start a new one? Best Of luck i hope it moves fast for you. πŸ™‚πŸ€Έβ€β™€οΈπŸ’ƒ

• LifeInBloom100
    LifeInBloom100 Member Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Phew. 26 and DONE, YESTERDAY. (I rang the bell lightly; the medical staff insisted and I didn't want to belittle the feat for the rest awaiting their treatments. The place was packed yesterday.)

Now for the home-BURN. Holy smokes, I'm burned. Upper back's burned too. Rad onc says it's because I'm thin.

Who knows....