Newly Diagnosed Two Weeks - Post Op Recovery question

Options
coffeemamma
coffeemamma Member Posts: 3 Member
edited January 17 in Breast Cancer #1

Hi,

I was just diagnosed two weeks ago with breast cancer, and I am in the process of setting up surgery, genetics, MRI, etc.

I am most concerned about the recovery at this point. I will be having a double mastectomy with reconstruction at the same time. I don't know yet if I am a candidate for fat grafting, but if I am, I will be doing that. I was told the recovery is about 4 to 6 weeks. I am most interested in when I can drive and do something as simple as make a sandwich or put on a pot of coffee. I was told the hospital stay is three days which has me nervous too. I have never been in a hospital that long.

Any experience with this surgery recovery is very welcome. Thank you for helping me get through this. I kind of feel alone dealing with it.

Comments

• LovesPrimes
    LovesPrimes Member Posts: 95 Member
    Options

@coffeemamma, so glad you are here (but not for the reason). I have found so many helpful, encouraging people here willing to share their journeys and insights. I hope that you will find these boards equally supportive.

I want to first say that each breast cancer journey is unique and sometimes it is helpful to remember that people who have complications or issues show up are more likely to seek out these boards than people who go through treatment with no problems.

I was diagnosed in March and had surgery for bilateral mastectomy and placement of tissue expanders in May. This was a long, long surgery but was outpatient. After the fact, we really couldn't believe we were sent home when they did. It was determined that I didn't have to have chemo or radiation but started Tamoxifen 4 weeks later. I had three drains and the last wasn't removed until 29 days after surgery. I had a couple small areas where my incisions were open and had to be helped along. They almost did another surgery to re-close two weeks after the surgery but we finally got the "wounds" to close. So far as driving, my opinion, is it really depends on multiple factors: drain removal, painkillers, ability. (I'm so, so grateful friends bought me mastectomy pillows. One was bigger and kind of wrapped around my chest for home. The other was smaller and had a strap to velcro around seatbelt. Whether driver or passenger, I used that second pillow for MONTHS after surgery.)

I had oophorectomy done (laparoscopically) at the beginning of September and was able to switch meds. (I had terrible side effects with Tamoxifen.) My reconstruction surgery, which will be DIEP surgery, is scheduled for end of year. For that surgery, I will be hospitalized for 3-5 days and I was told to expect a more difficult recovery than the mastectomy. I will be on disability from work for 8 weeks this time as opposed to 6 weeks after the first surgery.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask anything you want here or by DM!

• coffeemamma
    Options

Thank you LovesPrimes. I appreciate that you shared your journey with me. I am also thankful that you mentioned mastectomy pillows. I didn't know they existed and will look on Amazon for them now. Thank you again.

I am sure I will have more questions over the coming days and weeks. I am already glad I joined the forum.

• ladyrox1
    ladyrox1 Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

@coffeemamma

hi. I had a bilateral mastectomy for early stage 2A, invasive breast cancer of one breast & decided not to do any reconstruction. I just wanted the tumor out! Also, as the surgeon said, he wanted to treat it as aggressively as possible as I still have decades to live! I’m in early 50’s.

I was diagnosed in late November and by late October I had surgery! I consulted with family, friends, nurses, etc. I was fearful, but the overwhelming amount of support helped me stay strong . My faith helped a lot as well.

I’ve been diligent in getting mammograms and ultrasounds due to dense breasts as oncologist would schedule last few years. So now I encourage everyone to be proactive and get checked and do self checks, too,

It was easier to schedule the surgery quicker this way from date of my diagnosis. Of course, this journey is unique to all and lots needs to be considered but ultimately it’s our own choice.

I’m 4 weeks out. I had the drains removed in 2 weeks and half. I slept on a recliner for those two weeks because one can’t really turn. and the pillows helped, so did the shower lanyard to place drains inside while showering. I also bought a drain belt on Amazon to wear while walking and a shirt that had built in drain pockets. These things were all recommended as I was so overwhelmed I’d never knew of any of it! I took pain meds 1 in am and for sleep and then after about 7-10 days, stopped them and took 2 Tylenol, instead, same schedule as the pain meds. I only stayed one night for observation.

I did occupational Therapy arm range of motion as soon as allowed daily! This helped gain motion. I think I’ll start driving next week.

the doctor was happy w results! He only took out 3 nodes during sentinel node biopsy day of surgery and they were clear! So no node involvement. He ordered oncotype test and waiting on results. This will help better determine if chemo should be considered or not.

My Oncologist will discuss results and which hormone blocker if need to get on for at least 5 yrs. I will follow up with surgeon every 6 months during the 5 years! Yet, more often w oncologists once I begin the treatment plan,

I’ve been praying that the results come back where I will only need the meds and that there not be any future issues.

I am scheduled for a breast prosthesis measurement in few weeks. Still have some swelling, better range of motion, walk twice a day outside. No major exercises allowed yet. Pain is manageable now without Tylenol and it’s only 4 weeks. The chest feels tight and nurse said that’s to be expected for a while!

I feel at my best when I take online meditation, gentle walks in nature.

wishing you the best on your journey.

• rachey
    rachey Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hey coffeemamma, I just had this same surgery 2 weeks ago, so far it hasn’t been to terrible! Mine was outpatient and I was able to drive 24 hours after, I just went back to work today but took it easy 🙂 I was super nervous and glad it’s behind me! You got this girl ❤️

• jackpot
    jackpot Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Coffeemama - how are you doing? My surgery is in 3 weeks and i'm dealing with some anxiety. I think i'm struggling most with the results of the post surgery results (whether or not there is anything in my lymph nodes). So, i'm trying to find joy and grace every day. Any tips?

• coffeemamma
    Options

I dealt with a lot of anxiety too. I had my surgery two and a half weeks ago. It went well and the first week I slept a lot and didn’t do much. I had the drains out at two weeks and everyday after that has gotten better. The drains are the worst, but I didn’t have any pain after they were out. I am driving, cooking, and doing light housework this week. I hope your results are better than mine. stage o turned into stage one invasive. I start chemo in February. Now I have a lot of anxiety about that. It wasn’t in my lymph nodes but it’s her2 positive which requires chemo in a lot of cases. Feel free to message me. Maybe we could help each other through this. Things that may help after surgery: button down shirts, seat belt pillow (Amazon), surgical bra with drain hooks (hospital should provide), and cook a weeks worth of food and freeze ahead. I also made to do checklist for anyone helping the first few days.