Cold Caps

Options
JenyR
JenyR Member Posts: 1 Member
edited November 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

Has anyone tried cold caps? Do they work with AC & Taxol?

Comments

• LifeInBloom100
    LifeInBloom100 Member Posts: 51 Member
    Options

JenyR - to be fair, I do not know FIRSTHAND, but I have a dear friend who has in her 6th year as a breast cancer survivor who used the PENGUIN cold caps (they're not all of the same in terms of efficacy, she told me) during her chemo treatment. I don't recall which drugs she was on, but I do know she kept her hair. You do need to have someone help change them out every 25 minutes. But she has said they were effective and she'd never have decided differently.

All the best to you.

• ad5104
    ad5104 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hello - I am doing cold capping right now. I'm not getting AC&Taxol - my meds are Taxotere and Cytoxan. I have had 2 of 4 infusions (every 3 weeks). My infusion center uses the Amma Cooler Heads machine. I was told to expect some amount of shedding and maybe I've lost 25% of my hair so far mainly on the crown and then overall thinning everywhere else. That all started right at 3 weeks after the first infusion. Can't really tell unless you are taller than me and looking down on top of my head. I told myself I would try it and then just readdress it every time and go from there. I'm glad I have done it thus far. If it's a company you are looking at they should be able to tell you a % chance of keeping some amount 50%, 60% or whatever depending on the meds. Supposedly cold capping helps with regrowth as well...hopefully that's true.

Good luck to you....

• RocDocVic
    RocDocVic Member Posts: 81 Member
    Options

I'm on Taxotere and it is well known for the potential for permanent hair loss. There are currently many lawsuits against Sanofi because this was not divulged. I too am on Taxotere and chose to use a cold gel cap. I freeze it the night before and it's the right temperature for when I get the Taxotere. I started shedding about 2 weeks after 1st treatment, and it accelerated right after the 2nd one. I got shaved 4 days later. There is now stubble on my head, but I'll keep my head shaved so I don't have hair everywhere. I do wear colorful chemo hats, including when I sleep. My head gets chilly. Hopefully my hair will regrow. FWIW, most Cancer Centers in the US do not provide the cold caps. I bought mine on Amazon. It has 4 gel pack inserts, but I put the entire cap in the freezer. Easier to deal with. Same with mittens and booties. No struggles trying to get gel packs inserted every time.