Survivors where are you

Options
Bri1A
Bri1A Member Posts: 3 Member
edited December 2023 in Lung Cancer #1

I want to know how long everyone is surviving. I was formally diagnosed at 37, luckily with stage 1a. I had no symptoms and they found my cancer by mistake. I am now in remission for one year and I'm having these thoughts of how long will I live after this? I know there's no guarantee. But I'm curious of how long people survive after having lung cancer and a lobe removed. The statistics online don't help. I know no one in person who has survived lung cancer. I'm feeling very alone. I had a panic attack before my one year CT scan. People tell me my fears lessen with time... but right now I just want to know if it's possible I still live a long life and get to see my children get married and have their own families? And will I make it to retirement with my devoted husband? Could I live another 40 years? Is it possible. Give me hope survivors.

Comments

• smc1
    smc1 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I would be interested in people's experiences as well. I am recently diagnosed going through treatment now.

• DeniseSmith
    DeniseSmith Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Hello I'm Denise I'm 58 and recently diagnosed with stage 4b non small cell pulmonary adenocarcinoma with secondary bone cancer , currently I'm having my 4th treatment this Friday which will be the last one of this cycle

Then they'll rescan to see if the current treatment is working, they infuse 2 chemo Alimta and Carboplatin and 1 immunotherapy Keytruda

So we shall see if it's working soon . I do understand your fear , I've had alot of panic attacks since my diagnosis, I will tell you I think you are going to be fine , just breath and trust that everything will be fine .

• Kamelita
    Kamelita Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Hi, my name is Nancy and my lung cancer was found by accident as well. It was 1a non small cell pulmonary adenocarcinoma and I had a thoracic lobectomy. This month is year two cancer free. My panic attacks just stopped of late, so I think as time went by and COVID became manageable my fears subsided somewhat. Stay strong and positive.

• NHLynne
    NHLynne Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hi Nancy: You had panic attacks for the first two years? I have had terrible anxiety since the radiation completed in September of 2023 and have had a hard time getting it under control. I take Gabapentin. I don't have another CT scan until June 2024. I had the same stage that you did.

• Kamelita
    Kamelita Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Hi Lynne,

I think it was the whole unknown situation. It happened so fast from diagnosis to surgery that I had no time to process everything that was happening, plus add the COVID lockdown happening. Just kept telling myself they found it and had a lobe of my lung removed and just finished 2 year check up of cancer free.

Personally I used my yoga and the Calm app which I found beneficial.

Hope you feel better, just find that quiet in yourself.

Nancy