Reconstruction

Options
Fulofquestions
Fulofquestions Member Posts: 3 *
edited November 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

I’m experiencing a lot of delays with my care. I did not require chemotherapy or radiation so my reconstruction has been almost immediate. My first stall was having to wait too long for drain removal. As a result, I had an infection and needed to wait until the new stitches were removed. The second stall was having half the stitches removed one day and the other half on a different visit. Mind you my appointments are one hour away from where I live. There is no local reputable breast care in my town. Now for fear of the expander bursting, I’m receiving little to no injections. The expander is not full. I have little to no pain or muscle spasms. I don’t understand why the delay. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• LifeInBloom100
    LifeInBloom100 Member Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I haven't experienced this delay in care, though I am still in the tissue expander process and about to begin further treatment following a bilateral mastectomy. I'm trying to understand why, if your expander isn't full, you would be at risk of the expander bursting if they added more saline to it/them? Did an infection cause damage to the expanders? Maybe your reconstruction team feels there is enough skin stretched to replace with implants? And are you seeking a larger size than you naturally were? Is it possible you've reached the size you wanted, and they happened to have inserted larger than necessary expanders? I'm just trying to understand the concern that they're not full, and why then they'd keep having you come back in for pre-op fill appointments if they are no longer checking for infection or expanding your size. I hope you are well-cared for and have a very successful final reconstruction without delay.

• Fulofquestions
    Options

I’m not at the correct size. Although, there was an infection, they have said, they were glad to have saved the expander. However, they keep acting in fear the expander is a loss.

From what I’m reading on this forum, it doesn’t seem uncommon for mistakes and do overs. Why not move forward and see rather than stall?

• LifeInBloom100
    LifeInBloom100 Member Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I suppose there are other risks of infection with tissue expanders beyond radiation (which is the one way I know of). Not knowing enough about the causes of TE infection, I would suggest you raise these questions with another reconstruction surgeon at the facility (if you're receiving answers from a physician assistant - do ask to speak directly with your plastic surgeon directly, first). I'm sorry you're going through this worry. I'm very glad you no longer have an infection.

• Fulofquestions
    Options

Thank you! I hope all goes well for you too!