15 Years Later

Options
Annabelle41415
Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
edited January 1 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hello Everyone:

For those of you who don't know me I was diagnosed 15 years today, the day before Thanksgiving. I was having bleeding and the doctor thought it was hemorrhoids, and since I was 50, the doctor thought I better have my first colonoscopy. Well, it turned out I had a rectal tumor about the size of a nickle.

I went through Chemo with radiation, then surgery, then more chemo. I was given an ileostomy and was able to have that reversed 9 months later.

I still have continued bathroom issues 15 years later, but I just wanted to say that I have been clear ever since.

It's a battle no one ever wants to go through, but this group was so supportive while going through it, and long after. Continue to come here for the answers and the help you need. If I can answer any questions for you, please PM me as I'm not very active on the boards much anymore.

So as you can imagine, Thanksgiving has bitter/sweet memories for me. That was the hardest Thanksgiving I ever had to go through with my whole family there and knowing I had cancer and trying to stay happy without anyone knowing. It's also a most beautiful time as I've had 8 grandchildren, seen some graduate from HS and college and I'm still here 15 years later. I'm very Thankful.

God has blessed me beyond measure and I'm truly thankful for Him and this board.

For all those old timers, I'm glad you are still here providing knowledge and wisdom to the newbies.

May you all have a Blessed Thanksgiving tomorrow and have a cancer journey that will be successful.

Hugs!

Kim

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Ha! I posted to the other thread, before I saw this one.

Good to see you, Kim. Like I said in the other thread, allot of us old timers don't post so often. The new format is not as fun, that's for sure.

I had my bowel resection the day after Thanksgiving, so instead of turkey I was consuming prep. So yeah, Thanksgiving has a few odd moments of memory, for sure.

My bowel is still all over the place. The neuropathy gets worse and not better. I lost my sense of balance and now walk with a stick, at times. BUT, alive. I will take all of that, to be alive.

So good to see you here.

Tru

• Annabelle41415
    Options

Tru: So good to see you and I'm glad you are over 10 years. It's been a journey, that's for sure. My bowels are all over the place too and the neuropathy has gotten worse as I get older. I have been taking medication for 15 years. The cold is the worse. You are right, this format stinks and it's hard to see anything anymore. Yes, I'm so glad to be here too and plan on being here for a long time to come. You take care and I wish you all the best :)

Kim

• bangle
    bangle Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I’m so glad I ran across this post. I had surgery in April and just am about to finish 12 rounds of chemo. I to am still having bathroom issues and worry every time I do. Normally after chemo after reading your post I know it is something I may have to live with. The constipation is my problem and causes other things. I’ll survive but it worries me every time.

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

I love you Kim. Always so glad to see you in here. Just popped on myself. I'm celebrating being 54!!! 11 years ago I didn't think I'd get to say those words. ... and oh the bathroom problems=) Who knew things like this existed. And hernias! I get a hernia now if I sneeze too hard lol

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

I don't come by here much anymore, so please forgive my delayed post, but congratulations on your 15 year anniversary.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Yay! Sandia our buddy. Always good to see you. TRU

• Annabelle41415
    Options

Hi Sandia: So good to see your post. It seems like all us long timers just gave up on this site. I still find it very hard to use. Hope you are doing well. Hope you are still hiking and venturing out like you were before. It seems like so long ago that we were all chatting on here daily. There is a lot of good information out there from those days. Wishing you the best.

Kim

• impactzone
    impactzone Member Posts: 551 Member
    Options

Congratulations! All my best

Chip

• Annabelle41415
    Options

Chip, good to see your post. You are one of the old timers too. Glad that some of us come back on to check. I'm not fond of this new message system they have but it has been in place for several years now. Just never got used to it. Wishing you the best.