Has anyone forgone rec'd radiation with one positive lymph node/ bilateral mastectomy?

Options
LifeInBloom100
LifeInBloom100 Member Posts: 51 Member
edited January 17 in Breast Cancer #1

Good evening,

I don't mean to inundate -- I know everyone is at various stages of involvement enduring and recovering from their own BCs, and I send ALL of you my strongest healing thoughts and appreciation a support board like this exists.

I've been hoping to get others' insight as to whether forgoing recommended radiation following a bilateral mastectomy with immediate tissue expanders following a stage 1B invasive ductal cancer with ONE positive sentinel lymph node (of 4 removed) would be a reasonable consideration, given both the longer term health risks and probable aesthetic detriment to reconstruction following.

My oncotype score is 19, and it's been indicated radiation would bring a 10% risk of local recurrence down to 2%. I have a 16% risk of distant recurrence, which radiation would not impact and chemo would not greatly benefit (I am forgoing chemo, as it'd help maybe by 2% - which lupron to shut down ovary function and Tamoxifen may as effectively reduce my risk by the 2% - so I will do both of those).

Radiation, or no radiation?

I eat very healthful meals and exercise regularly. Of course I'm scared to be "looking over my shoulder" and am told that if a distant recurrence happens, it's then not curable.

But that doesn't seem to be solved by radiation to the left breast and armpit, which then makes me susceptible to heart and lung problems, thyroid issues, lymphedema, other cancers, mobility impairment and reconstruction failure. Phew!

Thoughts? Experiences? I'd be so grateful.

I musty decide immediately after Thanksgiving. Thank you kindly!

Comments

• jackpot
    jackpot Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

LifeInBloom - unfortunately, i don't have any useful information for you, as i've just recently been diagnosed and am awaiting surgery (bilateral mastectomy). Your post completely resonated with me - i'm trying to find out as much information as possible to prepare myself for possible findings. Have you made a decision about your treatment?