Doxil and the beach

Options
future_dreamer
future_dreamer Member Posts: 4 Member
edited October 2023 in Ovarian Cancer #1

We had planned to visit the beach next year before we found my wife’s ovarian cancer has reappeared. She is started on Doxil/carboplatin… has anyone had this challenge before?

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

future_dreamer, I'm sorry to hear the ovarian cancer has come back, but I would encourage you to keep making your plans. There is no expiration date on her and no one knows what is in the future. Plan your date, trip details, etc. Keep in mind that genetic testing is finding that there are immuneotherapy drugs (and trials) that are changing treatment from just the chemo plan.

I said it on the other thread but will say it again, your wife is lucky to have such a loving spouse.

• Judy_in_FL
    Judy_in_FL Member Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Hello future_dreamer! This is my first post and I'm chiming in to agree with the positive advice from NoTimeForCancer.

If your dilemma in planning the trip is because your wife's cancer has returned, as long as she feels good, think positive and GO FOR IT. Cancer is a bully but it doesn't define us. Your wife's oncologist may be able to reschedule or allow a skipped cycle to accommodate you. If the concern is being at the beach while Doxil cautions limiting sun and heat exposure, plan to use moderation, get a battery operated fan on a chain for comfort, use sunscreen and cover up some. (I live near the beach in south Florida and had no problem with 3 rounds of Doxil last year. Shoot, we can get sunburned walking from a parking lot to a store.)

Good for you being in this with your wife. What I wouldn't give to have the comfort and support of my husband through this. Best wishes to you both and let us know what you decide.

• Judy_in_FL
    Judy_in_FL Member Posts: 24 Member
    edited October 2023 #4
    Options

And I screwed up my first post! That was meant for the OP. Sorry guys... chemo brain. I don't have a better excuse. 😎

• future_dreamer
    future_dreamer Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Thank you everyone for the kind words… she is hanging in there… we are for sure taking the trip… I am just trying to prepare my wife for the best time she can have… the big plan is how to conquer the sun cause she loves the beach… she had a good experience after her first infusion with Doxil/carboplatnim so fingers crossed:)