IS MULTIPLE MYELOMA HEREDIATARY?

Options
ajm4
ajm4 Member Posts: 1 *
edited December 2023 in Multiple Myeloma #1

I am not sure if anyone knows the answer to this question but I am hopeful someone will be able to help me out.

My mom was diagnosed at age 50 and only lived 3 years with the disease. I am coming up on that age very soon and just wonder if this is hereditary? And if so what are some steps to take to see if you might be at risk for developing.

My family doctor does not know much about multiple myeloma so she was really no help.

Thank you to anyone that answers this question.

Comments

• MM2017
    MM2017 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I do not think multiple myeloma is hereditary. They tell me they do not know the cause of it. I contracted it in 2017 I lived about two blocks from a chemical plant 12 years when I was young. Several people got cancer, but none with mm. I also walked in highly polluted areas for 12+ years. I also had a lot of dental x-rays when I was a kid.Most major hospitals have a cancer clinic and they would be able to answer your questions. I am sure you probably could talk to them over the telephone to answer your questions. I guess a good plan of action would be have annual or semi annual check ups. as a man I never did go to a doctor and ignored many warning signs. I had no idea the symptoms I was having as cancer related .

• JaneWonderWoman
    JaneWonderWoman Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I was recently diagnosed with multiple myeloma and I finally found a very thorough website about it. Go to HeartTree Foundation. Most people live 10-20 years now with it according to them. You will find that there are some very basic blood lab tests to check for it as well. Also there is a precursor condition called MGUS that you can have that shows a few abnormal labs, but only 3% ever get multiple myeloma. They just watch your labs every 6 months to a year. Treatments are much better now than they were even 5 years ago and stem cell transplants with your own cells creates remission in many with the bone marrow cancer. It is very unlikely that it is hereditary.