A nodule, mass, tumor concern

Options
Tico14
Tico14 Member Posts: 36 Member

I inadvertently hijacked another participants (regwithnodules) question last week and was unable to get my overall questions answered, so I'll give it another shot.

I have not been diagnosed with cancer, but because of the following I'm concerned.

First CT of chest was several weeks ago (breathing issues). Several nodules were found. One was 9.2mm and another was 5cm - identified as an irregular opacity. As I understand it, perhaps incorrectly, an opacity is a nodule or several small nodules abutting one another, greater than 3cm are a mass and nodules greater than 5cm are tumors.

Yet, the doctor reading the CT wants another CT, it's already scheduled, to look closer at the 9.2mm nodule with no mention of the larger one. Is there something I missed here? Both are located along fissures.

Thanks.

Comments

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options

Dear Tico14,

I’m sorry I can’t answer your question. I wish I knew why they would be more concerned about something 9.2mm rather than the 5cm. I’ve done a lot of reading about nodules…masses..tumors…you are correct that it is purely a size thing naming them…but I’ve never heard of them being mixed up with “opacities.” My CT read (of what turned out to be actual cancerous nodules): “multiple nodules or nodular consolidation.” Reality: 4 nodules, all in right middle lobe, all 2.4cm and smaller, 3 of which are cancerous. I’ve had immunotherapy and chemotherapy and will have surgery to remove my right middle lobe.

Now … this is just my opinion…so please don’t take offense…but I HATE CT’s and the people who “read” them! They are just about worthless for diagnosing anything! ALL they are good for is alerting someone that there MIGHT be a problem. NOT good at all for identifying the problem! And I’ve ‘bout decided that there is a huge amount of covering-your-behind going on in the scans business! And that includes PET scans! They aren’t definitive either!

Just one example: I have lung cancer. It’s also in one of my paratracheal lymph nodes. (I’m halfway thru treatment and their intent is curative!) On my PET scan my left upper arm was lit like a Christmas tree. In fact, on their magnitude scale it was brighter than where I actually had cancer. If you wanted to draw a picture of the deltoid muscle you could use that scan as a guide. A perfect, lit up triangle at the top of my arm. Results reported it …described it and then reads”Recommend clinical correlation.” What the heck does that mean? Seriously? I looked it up…it means…Radiologist saying..”I saw something. I have no idea what it is. You should ask your patient about it.” No one has ever asked me about it. I have a horse. I groom him regularly. I’m right-handed. Occasionally when my right arm tires, I use my left. That’s it. Lit up because it’s inflamed because I’ve been grooming my horse.

I hope you can get some good answers. The scanxiety is awful! I do know this…the only way to know for sure what something is in the lung is to biopsy it. Period. Problem is there is no easy way to do that without being invasive.

As an aside….don’t worry for a second about hijacking anything! This happens all the time….it’s actually quite irritating….people come here desperate for help, hope, answers, whatever. They post something. And then NEVER come back. You can click on their profile pages and see everything…posts, visits, last active, etc. People go to a lot of trouble, invest valuable time to help someone, and they don’t even have the decency to come back to read it. I’ve been an active member on these boards for over 3 years. It’s a very valuable place! I hope it helps you, also!

😎, A

• Tico14
    Tico14 Member Posts: 36 Member
    Options

tbg,

Thank you. I appreciate your input about CT's and realize that they're good when they're used to identify a problem not to clarify one. But, I have to get another one in December to see where I go next.

If they suspect cancer I understand a biopsy of some type may be in the offing, but if there's another way to get a definitive answer about whether or not a mass is cancerous I have not read a lot of good things about the needle being inserted for a sample. Yuck!

Anyway, thanks a lot. I have learned something today and hope someone else can chime in about why the concern is on the 9.2mm and not the 5cm.

T

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options

Tico14,

You’re welcome. I wish I could be of more help! For my diagnosis, I had a needle biopsy. No one explained, but I think it was best accessed that way because not accessible via my airways…a matter of geography..too far towards periphery of the lung. I was none too happy, and worried about complications, but none occurred. It was fine. I was also concerned about spreading cancer cells by “poking” it. They used a process in which they place a very narrow sheath against the tumor and the collection needle went down inside it and came out through the tube…..avoiding dragging cancer cells through healthy tissue on the way out. My suspicious lymph nodes were biopsied with an EBUS procedure (endoscopic bronchoscopy). General anesthesia…I would have refused any other way!….with a “regular” bronchoscopy” you only get light sedation (which I’ve witnessed and it is NOT pretty) …tube through trachea to examine and then thread a needle through it to pierce and get to individual lymph nodes for samples. I wasn’t happy about this either, but it had to be done because I had 2 nodes in trouble. I think if my tumors had been closer to bronchi this is what they would have used. Also had zero complications with this procedure.

I hope you get good answers! It’s all so scary! And you’ll probably find that NO one seems to be in a hurry except you! Even after my definitive needle biopsy it took almost 6 weeks for MDA to finish their testing and devise a treatment plan….And they are fabulous! Yet it was six excruciating weeks of waiting!

Best, best to you!

A

• Judemo
    Judemo Member Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Wow, I can completely relate to you. Thanks for sharing! You feeling ok now?