New here waiting

Options
pebbles2962
pebbles2962 Member Posts: 4 Member
edited October 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

I am going to Msk for a second opinion. MSK received all my information, reports and CD’s. I was told a nurse practitioner would review my tests, then video conference me, then send me to the radiologist for a biopsy. If it came back positive for cancer then I would be paired with a surgeon.

I received a call from MSK. They were calling to schedule me with a surgeon. No contact with nurse or a biopsy. When I asked why I was told they have all the information they need and did not want to waste my time and wanted me to see a surgeon.

my mind is all over the place. I can’t eat and sleep one or two hours a night.

does anyone have any idea why this is happening like this?

I can’t help but think that if it is just some cysts they would not waste the surgeons time by speaking with me. I would have thought the nurse would have told me that and asked me to come back in 6 months or a year.

this leads me to conclude something serious is going on. Can anyone please some light on this. Super scared.

thank you so much, any insight would help.

Comments

• RocDocVic
    RocDocVic Member Posts: 81 Member
    Options

What is MSK? What previous testing was performed? Mammograms, Ultrasound? What did the original place say the test results mean? I would call MSK and ask them to go thru your results with you and ask why you're being referred to a surgeon. Is this what was recommended by the 1st place? What was the original diagnosis?

• pebbles2962
    Options

Memorial Sloan kettering

I found a lump in Aug.

i had several mammograms and ultra sounds. Raidiologist said” well I don’t know, it is very concerning I think maybeee it is a cyst, but this is very concerning, I don’t know what to do. I am just going to say it is a cyst and have you come back in 6 months.”

yes I am going to contact MSK tomorrow. My main contact was on vacation last week.

thanks for the input.

• RocDocVic
    RocDocVic Member Posts: 81 Member
    Options

This is so very odd to be referred to a surgeon first especially without a biopsy. A biopsy will determine if it's cancer or not, type of cancer etc. Type and size usually determine treatment plan. Ask them about a biopsy. Maybe surgeon will order it.

• pebbles2962
    Options

I did find out that there are several ways to get into Msk. I qualify with my BI RADS Number, and because I have a lump which seems to be some sort of mass. So I go right to the surgeon who will tell me how she wants to proceed.

As with everyone else it is a waiting game for me. I’m still hopeful all is fine.

• kim845
    kim845 Member Posts: 2 *
    Options

MSK is very good. If they want to see you, go. Once they determine, you need a surgeon…they try and get you in as fast as possible. I was told by my local surgeon, I had stage MBC. And she took me off her surgical schedule. LUCKILY, I had a second opinion scheduled with MSK the following week on a Friday. Completely disagreed with the locals. By the following Friday, I was in NYC with pre-op appointments. And had surgery the following Monday (they felt I was already behind because of local slow pokes). They handled insurance issues, scheduling issues. It was like going to war with an amazing team. I felt like nothing mattered more to them than getting my cancer out.

• pebbles2962
    Options

Kim845

it is so good to hear from someone who went to MSK and felt very confident about them. I go to the Basking Ridge location in a week to see the surgeon. I just want a definitive answer as to what this is. Do you know if they just do biopsies only in NYC?

• Sunny5
    Sunny5 Member Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Be glad they are sending you right to the surgeon. They are correct not to waste time with all that other. He can tell you exactly what is going on. And, just because they referred you to him, does not mean it's very far along. And write down your questions, if you haven't already been. Don't hesitate to ask any question you have, because everyone's situation is different. You probably have seen him by now; I would hope so. Keep us posted. Wishing you the best outcome!

• Sunny5
    Sunny5 Member Posts: 147 Member
    Options

The surgeon did my biopsy. What I find strange is the other dr. that said he was just going to say it was a cyst! That was unconscionable. He should have ordered a biopsy right away.