Head and neck cancers...

Options

Are hypoechoic lesions usually cancerous?

Comments

• Swoosh13
    Swoosh13 Member Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Hi Justin2018,

If you follow my profile on my husband’s current treatment for base of tongue SCC HPV+16, obviously he is being treated for cancer (Stage 1).

However, back in 4/19, I had a 1.2 cm swollen lymph node in my left submandibular gland. The ultrasound described it as hypoechoic. Therefore my ENT performed a FNA and the biopsy results were totally benign. Ultimately it calmed down on its own. I just happen to have “reactive” neck lymph nodes.

So don’t panic if you’re trying to read a scan, but you should definitely have this checked by your doctor or ENT if you haven’t already, as the minute my husband showed me his swollen lymph node, we took it very seriously.

• Justin2018
    Justin2018 Member Posts: 2 *
    Options

Hi,

I've had this for 7 months, with no improvement. I just noticed it one day so I assume it must've been there for awhile. I don't know if it is growing but it certainly isn't getting any smaller.

My mother had squamous cell carcinoma. After a year of not getting it addressed she started experiencing problems.

I am currently working with an Otolaryngologist, I don't go back until the 23rd for a biopsy, CT Scan on the 17th. I'm just trying to be ready for the news if it is bad. I've had other symptoms too–unexplained weight loss, food getting stuck sometimes, persistent fatigue and overwhelming tiredness.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Very good Justin, stay on it till you are sure it is nothing or maybe not what you suspect or that it is, in fact, a problem, and get the proper procedures to get it straightened out. Either way, anytime there is a growth or something different that isn't going away and then lasting 7 months, don't wait that long to get something checked out, it is valuable time.

I know we all do it, waiting and hoping the problem goes away but when we consider the risk of cancer the sooner we get on it the better because it is a situation of the smaller the better when you get it.

I am glad you are working with an Otolaryngologist and you may want to consult him as to whether it would be good to have an ENT involved also. Guess what? After I mentioned getting an ENT involved I wondered what the difference between them was so I looked it up.

Well, I learned something today, there is no difference they are one in the same.

Otolaryngology is one of the oldest medical specialties (practiced since the 19th century) that involves the diagnosis and treatment of patients with diseases and conditions of the ears, nose, throat, head, and neck. Physicians trained in otolaryngology are called by many names. They include:

• Otolaryngologists
    • Ear, nose, and throat doctors
    • ENTs

In other words, there is no difference between an otolaryngologist and ENT. They are one and the same, with the latter being the shorthand version that’s much easier to recall and pronounce.

One more thing Justin, it is not easy but try not to worry about all this just go through the testing and don't think ahead that it's this or that. I have been on this forum for a bit and have seen people with cases of what they were sure was cancer and it turned out to be a noncancerous growth that was easily removed. There was also a young lady I recall of was sure she had throat cancer because she was having trouble swallowing and was making herself a nervous wreck until she got it checked out and found it was chronic gastritus and her doctor prescribed medication for it.

OK, Justin, Wishing You the Best

Keep us updated.

Our Motto here NEGU (Never Ever Give Up)

Take care, God Bless

Russ