Advice on post radical prostatectomy, radiation ADT Therapy

Options
tomoconnor54
tomoconnor54 Member Posts: 1 Member

I turn 69 this month. In early 2021, I discovered I had advanced prostate cancer. . The biopsy detected cancer in every sample In almost all of the samples, I had a Gleason score of 9. The few remaining samples had a score of 8.

I had a radical prostatectomy in June of 2021. The surgeon found that it had metastasized to my seminal vessels, nerves, 6 lymph nodes and inside the bladder. The surgeon tried his best but couldn’t remove all of the metasis. After a couple of months, I started a 2yr program of Androgen Deprivation Therapy (ADN).

A couple of months later, I went through 8 weeks (40 sessions) of radiation. A year after completion of the radiation, I developed severe bladder cystitis and proctitis. I then had 40 hyperbaric treatments which cured the cystitis but not the proctitis.

I finish the ADT therapy this month. When pressed, the oncologist said I had a 90% chance of reoccurrence after cessation of the ADT therapy.

Has anyone had a similar experience and how did it turn out? I would most appreciate any insights you can provide.

Thank you!

Comments

• eonore
    eonore Member Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Hey Tom,

Sorry you find yourself with this aggressive case of prostate cancer. If your oncologist feels it is likely that the cancer will recur after cessation of the hormone therapy, it is time to get a game plan in effect for that possibility. My only advice is to make sure that your are treating at a cancer center of excellence, with access to the latest equipment and clinical trials. More than likely, your disease will have to be managed, not cured. However, the good news is that the medical oncologists have a variety of tools in their arsenal.

You may want to ask your doctor about genetic testing, which can help with choosing targeted therapies.

Eric

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,345 Member
    edited October 2023 #3
    Options

I second Eric's comment. In other words, it's unfortunate, but prostate cancer will be with you for a long time to come (unless some magical bullet comes along). The good news is that metastasized prostate cancer can usually be controlled for many years.

I highly recommend that you get another opinion on the best path forward preferably from a medical oncologist who is up to date on current therapies.