Cervical cancer

Options

I have just recently been diagnosed with cervical cancer and I am very scared for what is to come.

Comments

• Orangeaven493
    Orangeaven493 Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in February of this year. It’s very scary. You should do your homework and choose a cancer group with good reviews. Every state has a University hospital that has the most innovative treatments. I live a distance from U of M in Michigan but only drive an hour for my treatments as they have locations throughout the state. Your Doc should be able to refer you. I initially started on Keytruda, then Avastin and the chemo, Taxol. Chemo can be challenging. They will most likely do surgery on you at some point.

• Merrillk
    Merrillk Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hello, thanks for reaching out

How are you doing today after being diagnosed with cervical cancer in February?

I have a cone procedure scheduled October 23rd and will find out treatment plan after results from the cone procedure.

It is my understanding that I will have a hysterectomy regardless in late January

I'm trying to stay positive during this time but it is hard

Have a good evening

• Orangeaven493
    Options

I went to the ER on 2/23 due to a very high heart rate of 164 and they found the Cancer. I experienced a pathological fracture in my back due to the Cancer in March and had to have emergency surgery which was a major setback as I was bed-bound for approximately 1 month afterward. I was extremely ill by the time they started they started the Keytruda in April. I began feeling stronger in June. As of now, I am doing much better. I had a PET scan on 9/25 and I had a complete response to the Chemo, Keytruda and Avastin. There was no visible Cancer. I’m hoping for the best. No surgery at this time per my Gynecologist Oncologist. They have come a long way with treatments for Cervical Cancer. Hang in there and try to stay positive. You are always welcome to message me with any questions. Wishing you the best!

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

Merrillk, I hope you are working with a gynecologic oncologist. They specialize in gyn cancers and, as you will find, ask all the questions you want and need. You will need to be your own advocate so learn as much you can. It is a little quiet here on cervical cancer but there are a few other sites - the names of which escape me - but you will find them with a little bit of searching.

Good luck on Oct 23, take a breath, it is overwhelming.

• AngBArtsy
    AngBArtsy Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I wish you well on your journey XOXOXO. I remember this journey through cervical cancer. I agree having great Doctors & support care is soooo important.

• Orangeaven493
    Options

Thank you!

• NoTimeForCancer
    Options

Sending you good thoughts for tomorrow Merrillk. Hugs dear one.

• BrotherBear1976
    BrotherBear1976 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Good morning,

My sister was just diagnosed 11-14-23. I am taking the journey with her. I am a nurse and boy I guess I never realized how much I didn't know about cancer even after 20 years of nursing. My sister is doing what they call Interlace Therapy where she does 6 weeks of low dose Chemo followed by 5 weeks of Chemo/Radiation Therapy. She has had 3 treatments and was dealt her first "Gut" punch when over half of her hair fell out in the shower. Before this she was doing amazing. I am worried now as we approach treatment #4. Any advice or words of encouragement anyone can share with me. This is a horrible journey that I wish we were not on. We lost two of our Cousins to this same "Monster" So this is scary as hell.

• NoTimeForCancer
    Options

BrotherBear, first, none of us make the journey without love and support. Bless you.

I see if has been a little over a month since you posted, so we have been in it now and lived more. While I am not familiar with Interlace Therapy and would have to read in to it, it sounds like she (and you) were never told about the possible side effects. Unfortunately, hair loss is a common event with most chemo, and it does, totally suck.

My two cents would be to learn as much as you can. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and find a place to meet others who are in, or have been, in the same place.