Options
mart62
mart62 Member Posts: 31 Member

it is it true that you cannot get cisplatin if you are over 70yrs old

Comments

• Swoosh13
    Swoosh13 Member Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Hi Mart62, I’ll also let Russ and others comment who know more, but speaking for my husband who is 67, we were never told that. He’s having 7 weekly doses of Cisplatin (finished 4 so far 3 to go next this Tuesday). Along with his 33 rad dose days. He’s completed 19 of the 33 so far so he is over 1/2 way through both.

I would say he’s tolerating the Cisplatin very well so far and we are glad we had the weekly option vs the 3 larger dose option spread further apart. They also check his hearing every other week and we have another appt with his audiologist tomorrow.

Hope you’re doing well.

Swoosh13

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Hello, Mart, I am not sure one way or the other. I did some research and cannot find anything about Cisplatin restricting age or lifetime dose. I think it would go on a case-by-case basis. You would want to check with your care team. My best guess would be that if they felt it would be the best treatment for your cancer and you were healthy enough you would be able to get Cisplatin.

I did find this finally--

Here--Our conclusion is that cisplatin can safely be administered to elderly patients. Arbitrary dose modification or elimination of cisplatin from a treatment programme on the grounds of patient age alone is not justified.

Link--https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1615783/

Also here is a link to another study that seems to indicate the older you are the less inclined they are to use it based on possible renal damage. Here again it would be based on your individual case and the older you are I would assume you would be monitored closely and treatment stopped if necessary.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7238313/

In my case, I was told they would not give me any more Cisplatin due to the neuropathy I already have from it and they do not want me to have any more damage so Cisplatin is a no, no for me due to my health conditions from getting it from before. They do not want to add to it. If I ever needed chemotherapy again I would imagine there are other kinds that could be used but I pray I never have to face cancer again avoiding that situation possibility.

By and large, the older we get it is harder to do these treatments and many other things for that matter. Our body doesn't have the resiliency it once had, all our organs are older and we don't bounce back like we once did.

I hope this helps.

Wishing You the Best

Take care, God Bless

Russ