My journey into my worst fears

Options
mrdispatcher
mrdispatcher Member Posts: 1 Member
edited January 28 in Colorectal Cancer #1

My journey into the unknown.

About 45 days ago during a routine exam it was discovered that I had polyps in my colon, which isn’t abnormal for a person as young as I am. My PCP sent them to a lab for a biopsy. I get regular checkups so I wasn’t too concerned.

About a week later I received a call from the doctor saying that cancer cells were discovered in one of the polyps…..that’s when reality sat in. A few weeks prior to my exam my girlfriend and I were talking about one of the cancer events that were coming up and I told her that I don’t know any survivors, everyone I knew that had this disease had succumb to it, so can you imagine where my mindset went after finding out I was positive. Trying to stay positive I waited for my consultation with the doctor. That was the longest 10 days of my life. I researched everything I could find about colon cancer, every article or website stated “it’s the second most deadly form of cancer in the USA…..Damn internet.

Then I met with the doctors, that’s when I discovered I would need to have surgery to determine the extent of my case. They needed to remove the section of the colon that had the cancer cells and the surrounding tissue and lymph nodes for further testing before they can determine the next step. Think about that for a minute, I needed surgery before they can come up with a course of action….all along I’m thinking “ I don’t know any survivors”.

On Wednesday 9/27/23 I went in for…….

COLECTOMY LAPAROSCOPIC ANTERIOR RESECTION

For those who don’t know, that’s when they go inside you and remove the section of colon that has the cancer cells, then stitch it back together.

The surgery went well very little pain afterwards, thanks to the meds. I was released from the hospital on Friday 09/29/2023 and the wait begins………Staging and treatments up next.

I received a call from my surgeon Saturday 09/30/2023, yes, a Saturday, you already know where my mind went.

He informed me that he has the reports and…………….

No signs of any cancer in the tissue of lymph nodes. No sign of spreading beyond the polyp.

There is no need for Chemotherapy or Radiation treatments. Just heal from the surgery and get back to life. This journey has come to an end for me.

Whoever reads this understand the importance of regular checkups. Taken into account my race and age the outcome could have been drastically different.

Follow my lead and get your checkups.

Gregory G. Ward

Black male, 63 years old

I am now the first...

Survivor

Comments

• Lynejo
    Lynejo Member Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I am so happy & relieved for you

and appreciate the info

• lheardejr77
    lheardejr77 Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

That's beautiful. I've recently was diagnosed with colon cancer. And this was inspirational.

• sgold88
    sgold88 Member Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Great news on the amazing outcome. Unfortunately the internet is littered mostly with negative stories. This isn't abnormal but your should know that there are hundreds of thousands of survivors - maybe millions. If you peruse this chat board, you will see many stage 4 survivors like Trubit and Dave - and my wife, and so many more. Cancer is not the death sentence it once was or is perceived to be. Congrats once again!

• niki123000
    niki123000 Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

That’s an Amazing Blessing 💪🏾

• BeirutVet
    BeirutVet Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Hey Brother

You Rock!! Big congrats

Stay Strong, KEEP GETTING YOUR CHECKUPD!!!

Good Job!!!! I am happy for you

• BeirutVet
    BeirutVet Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

CHECK UPS!!!