Thickness of Uterine Lining

Options
1cbras
1cbras Member Posts: 4 Member
edited November 2023 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

New and Nervous. I'm 51 years old and admittedly overweight and pre-diabetic. I've been on seasonique (combination hormone birth control) for almost 10 years. In mid July I had spotting for a couple of days that stopped. I called my Gynecologist and she said it could happen. In August I had a normal pap. (I understand it can't detect uterine cancer). I started taking semaglutide early September. I starred spotting when I took the 2nd shot so again I called my Gynecologist. I reminded her my grandmother died of uterine cancer. I had a TVUS and it shows a uterine lining of 11mm. Im scheduled for a biopsy on next Wednesday. Is the thickness highly alarming and suggestive. Is the time frame, assuming July was an associated symptom, highly alarming for diagnosis-10 weeks.

Comments

• Prayer2023
    Prayer2023 Member Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Try not to worry until you see what this is! It could be noncancerous polyps. I hope you have a D&C scheduled soon. Please keep us updated and think positive! This past August I had a total hysterectomy after being diagnosed with Stage 1A, Grade 3 Adenocarcinoma. I just had my post-surgery appointment with my oncologist and after discussion on a treatment plan and possible brachytherapy, we decided to just wait, observe, and get a checkup every three months. I thank God everyday that my diagnosis was not as bad as it could have been. Hang in there!

• bav
    bav Member Posts: 12 Member
    edited September 2023 #3
    Options

Hello 1cbras -

Welcome. It sounds like you are doing all that you can to cope with a lot of unknowns. It's great that you have been persistent in reminding your doctor about your familial history.

And it's good you reached out to this group; I'v found it helpful since my diagnosis about 20 months ago. That said, I hope your biopsy is normal and that you need not return... except to share the good news! Hang in there -- you'll have answers soon enough.

I'm not familiar with seasonique or semaglutide, so I don't know how those things might be related to your symptoms.

I was 54 when I had one occasion of very very light bleeding. I wasn't exactly sure if I was post menopausal, and was overseas at the time. My sister had been treated for endometrial cancer the year prior, and yet weirdly I just put the bleeding (mostly) out of my head. About six months later I went to my gp because of fatigue and COVID-like symptoms (never tested positive); I mentioned the bleeding in passing when we were talking about menopause and she immediately ordered an US. My US showed my uterine lining was 14.5 mm, although the pathology report after my hysterectomy said 19 mm. Ultimately I was staged at 1b. By the way, I was and am overweight and have lipedema. I am lucky to have an excellent dietician who reminds me that my eating history did not cause the cancer, or the lipedema either!

All the best to you.

• 1cbras
    Options

@bav thanks for responding and the encouragement. Semaglutide is a weight loss medicine that I just started. So, on top of everything else I was really feeling down about my weight loss struggles because of course I turned to doctor google initially, and there is information making the correlation between EC and weight. Again, thanks so much. I'm really anxious about the biopsy and dreading the wait for the results.

• 1cbras
    Options

Thanks. I'm so trying not to get ahead of myself but it's so hard to do so. I have a biopsy scheduled for next Wednesday and it can't come soon enough.

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 966 Member
    edited September 2023 #6
    Options

Welcome 1cbras. I will add a couple of things. I am not sure about your endometrial lining because you are not menopausal. I think the thickness is different when you are still having periods. It is scary to think you have cancer. But only 1 in 10 biopsies are positive for cancer so you are very likely to have a normal biopsy. And funny enough, I started taking Ozempic yesterday because I found out I have severe arthritis in my knees and I have had a spinal fusion, so was told to lose weight. I joined a FB page on Ozempic, and they talk about their experiences. I think I read a few posts about spotting after starting the medication. I have not read my very detailed insert about how this medication works, so I don't understand why that would happen. It might be good for you to join one of those discussion groups and ask that question there. I am going to study Ozempic. Some of my friends said it was "scary". I don't think it is scary but there is little information out there. My new project.

Also the time between biopsy and bleeding. I bled in December and did not have my biopsy until May. I was still very early stage.

Sue

• itsjustmee
    itsjustmee Member Posts: 4 *
    Options

Hi

New here. This is my 1st post response. I'm curious if you learned anything about ozempic and relationship to endometrial cancer. As I had my biopsy a week ago and I a FIGO 1 endometrial carcinoma. I see the GY Oncologist next week, I will have everything removed.

I had post menopausal spotting, and it seems to have started after I tried mounjaro another semaglutoide which made me super sick. I've been in menopause for several years. But they also said I had chronic and or acute endometriosis my lining is 11.7

I'm gathering ive had this maybe for awhile I've had other diagnosis but me myself wondered if they missed cancer with various autoimmune issues. But find this of interest with the semaglutoide treatments. I feared those meds as I have thyroid nodules that seem to get biopsies annually. Thankfully negative so far. But again there's so little research on the semaglutoides. Could it be a contributing factor.

• Forherself
    Options

Welcome Itsjustmeee. Sorry about your diagnosis. You don't mention the type of cell. The type of endometrial cancer cell makes a big difference. I also had endometriosis. I wonder if IT increases the risk of endometrial cancer. It doesn't sound like you took Mounjaro for very long . Since it is a semaglutide it is a treatment for diabetes with a different name. Diabetes itself is a risk factor for endometrial cancer so I would think it has the opposite effect, lowering your risk. The semagultides have shown an increase in thyroid cancer when given to mice. You have to decide the risk of obesity and the risk of thyroid cancer. There are no studies on humans that have shown an association with thyroid cancer. Semaglutides have been prescribed for a long time. I think there has been quite a bit of research on them. I need to lose 30 lbs for my knee arthritis and it is working for me without side effects. I think some side effects are caused by losing weight too fast. Everyone is different. Good luck with your surgery.

• itsjustmee
    Options

It just says endometriod adenocarcinoma Figo 1. I think I'll learn more next week.

• Forherself
    Options

That is very good news though. Endometrioid is the lower grade meaning the less aggressive kind. If low stage you will not need further treatment past surgery. And most are low stage. Oh, and ask about lymph node mapping. It removes less lymph nodes and is very accurate and reduces the possibility of lymphedema after surgery.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

Welcome itsjustme. I agree with Forherself on what she wrote. Women need to understand that being overweight is a known contributing factor to endometriod cancer. Losing weight, as hard as it is for everyone, is worth our futures.

• MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Welcome, itsjustmee. While I'm sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with endometrial cancer, endometrioid adenocarcinoma, grade 1, is not usually very aggressive and is thought to be caused by too much estrogen. Just for sake of completeness, while not applicable to your particular case since you are a grade 1, endometrioid carcinoma, grade 3, is more aggressive and would be treated like other aggressive subtypes of endometrial cancer such as papillary serous carcinoma, clear-cell carcinoma and undifferentiated carcinoma.

Wishing you all the best!

• itsjustmee
    Options
  • itsjustmee
    Options

The semaglutoides were designed to manage A1C pre-diabetes and full non insulin resistant diabetes. These medications were not created for weight loss. It's a side effect of what they do to the body.

And I only asked about this as I've seen other post about these meds and post menopausal bleeding. No I took one dose of the mounjaro I am borderline diabetic, however I have untreated Hashimotos hypothyroidism, this plays a part in many things. It's untreated due to the endocrinologist choices, this is not a place to discuss this issue.

I was the most active fit person possible up to a few years ago. And then the autoimmune diagnosis started. My body is my enemy.