Esophageal Cancer Treatment/doctor recommendation

Options
ACS11
ACS11 Member Posts: 4 Member
edited October 2023 in Esophageal Cancer #1

We are still waiting for the pathology results post-endoscopy, but the Dr. found a 5 cm tumor which he said is highly likely cancer. I understand that the best treatment depends on many factors (e.g., stage, type of tumor, etc. ). We live in North California (but we can move if needed). Do you have any recommendations for specialized doctors and/or treatment centers? We just want to be proactive in finding the best possible care.

Comments

• fishinginspector
    fishinginspector Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

Hello,

Dr. David White at UNC Rex Thoracic Surgeons performed my esphagectomy on9/23/2022. He was amazing. He has great patience in answering any questions that you may have, and he has a little bit of a sense of humor.

I spent 10 days at UNC Rex Hospital and I cannot rave enough about the staff there.

Good Luck with everything.

• ACS11
    Options

Thank you! Unfortunately, surgery is not on the table because there is metastasis to one distant lymph node (no organs) - i.e., T3 N1 M1 staging. We started chemo+immuno therapy last week, so if any other recommendation comes to mind, we would appreciate it.

I am happy to hear about your positive experience with UNC Rex and Dr. David White. We will keep it in mind. It is good to have this information.

Good luck to you, too!

• jwkelly
    jwkelly Member Posts: 26 Member
    Options

By the time they diagnosed me it was in my lungs and throat too,was misdiagnosed with dysphagia only because of TBI. That error cost me 10 months and then it was stage 3 b by then.

• MischelleM
    MischelleM Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Fred Hutch Cancer Center in Seattle is the best in the NW. My husband received chemo-radiation prior to surgery. His tumor was very large. They shrunk it to almost undetectable. 🙏♥️

• ACS11
    Options

Thank you!