Hip pain after treatment

Options
hibby
hibby Member Posts: 1 Member

Hi guys. 4 yrs clean, stage 2 cancer. 2 weeks chemo pump, 6 weeks radiation. Year 3 after treatment, I started having hip issues. It’s now gotten to the point that I cant walk 50 feet without extreme pain. If I stop, it only takes a few minutes to go away, but starts again when I start. Have had tests done, steroid injections, months of rehab. Nothing is working! Went on line and found lots like me, but no one has been told this may be a side effect, and Drs are acting clueless. Anyone know what I’m talking about? And what did you do about it?

Comments

• Colin62
    Colin62 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hi Hibby I too suffer from Hip Pain after walking about 50 metres. I have had the same treatment program that you have had. I am nearly 3 years out from treatment. I have been doing stretches ie: laying on my back and pulling up my legs one at a time and stretching the hip joint. This has helped a bit! The doctors don't tell you alot about the side effects we will suffer after treatment. I tell my doctor about and he just gives a surprised look!!! BTW I am a 61yo Male.

• CarolynDavis105
    CarolynDavis105 Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

Hello, I also went through the treatments that you have, and am a 59 yr old female. I have started having a lot of hip issues. And was under pain management but they have cut me back so much due to the pandemic that I cannot work my part time job to help me pay to live. Disability just covers my rent and am only eligible for $30.00 a month in food stamps. I'm single and no children. I only know that this is going to get worse and wish that it could be recognized as a side effect. Prayers with wings headed to you. 🙏🪽✌️♥️

• dvsas4
    dvsas4 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

i am 1 yr and 11 months out from treatment. i started seeing a pelvic floor physical thearpist. it help a great deal with everything after treatments. Try getting into PT even the pelvic floor PT. As for me the cancer did come back. they actually found it because of the hop pain I was having. I go in next week for a new PET scan and start back at square 1. I can not have radiation again and as for Chemo, that all depends also. I now have to have surgery and have all the damaged area removed and get a permament colostomty bag. Sorry about my spelling...my brain still isn't working like it should. I am happy for you that your now cancer free.

• biscuit7
    biscuit7 Member Posts: 3 *
    Options

I am 3 years out from treatment and have suddenly started having hip pain in both hips. I mentioned this at my last oncologist appointment and said I thought it was from the radiation. She said the radiation was more focused and would not affect the hips. As evidenced by all of us going through us, I think we can say that it affects the bones. One year out I had two pelvic insufficiency fractures of the pelvis. If anyone has any tips or experience in how they are handling this I would be interested in what you are doing.

• biscuit7
    biscuit7 Member Posts: 3 *
    Options

So sorry to hear your cancer has returned. At least it sounds regional so perhaps you can get ahead of it with the surgery. I have blogged with a number of anal cancer survivors who have done well with the colostomy. Stay strong! You can do this!