tonsil cancer question, diagnosis and symptoms

Options
october1987
october1987 Member Posts: 2 Member
edited September 2023 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I am sure you are all asked this many, many times, so I apologize if this is redundant. I have not been diagnosed, but currently taking all steps to figure out what is causing my tonsil pain. I had dysplasia on the roof of my mouth before, so not sure what is going on with my tonsil, but I have very localized pain (on my right tonsil), rather than a general sore throat. I can point to where it hurts to my ENT (it's been months of constant pain, and still no answers.)

I have received a CT w/contrast scan of my neck, which came black clear, but I understand sometimes this cancer can be tricky to see on just a CT scan. I am ready to start spraying my tonsil with numbing spray for relief.

Any stories would be appreciated.

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Hello, october, and welcome to the CSN H&N discussion board. I am sorry I don't really have any guidance or ideas on what may be causing this. But you are doing all the right things and are with an ENT getting it professionally looked at. It could just be an unusual happening with the nerves in that area and no obvious cause. Something that will resolve itself someday soon hopefully. I don't know if a different type of scan is in order that will give greater detail, I would discuss this with your ENT. Also, it may be a good idea in this case to get a second opinion from another ENT, a different set of eyes and ideas may find something.

Wishing You The Best

Take Care, God Bless

Russ

• october1987
    october1987 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hey Russ,

Thanks for the response. I have been going Penn ENT so I should be confident in her decisions, since they have a great reputation, but I will seek out another opinion, too. She doesn’t see anything when she scopes me, so maybe it is some sort of nerve. I was already on an antibiotic and she is prescribing another one now, and she said after that she could possibly do some tissue sampling.

But if anyone has similar symptoms of one really painful, not particularly enlarged tonsil, l would appreciate any insight.