8 weeks post treatment “backsliding”

Options
Kazsmiles74
Kazsmiles74 Member Posts: 20 Member

My husband is 8 weeks post treatment. Standard protocol for treatment, chemo and radiation. No feeding tube(but definitely should have). The last week of treatment and the following two weeks his palliative care doctor put him on morphine for the severe pain. He only used the morphine about 10 days. He was eating some solids and drinking HC Boosts to maintain with little pain. The last two weeks he can barely eat or drink. Not because of pain, but he can’t really explain it. He is dizzy, weak, and nauseous. His oncologist says it’s “backsliding.” He has lost 13lbs in two weeks and is now back doing IV hydration 3x a week. Oncologist also put him on Olanzapine to see if that helps with his mental block of eating(5 days now). I just feel they’re not concerned enough about his lack of nutrition. Have any of you dealt with this situation? If so, what were some things that helped you?

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Hello, Kaz, welcome. I have not been in your husband's situation. I am sorry to hear he is going through this difficult time and you along with him as his spouse. I don't understand why he has a mental block to eating when he physically can. Can you sit down with him and try to get through to him somehow? Although I am sure you have probably tried that. I did a search and found nothing relating to H&N patient who can eat but refuses. Usually, when people can start eating again they are glad to do it. Do you think it is due to him being nauseous? When you are really nauseous it is really hard to even think of putting food in your mouth. Give it a little time maybe the Olanzapine will work. Is he at a critical weight yet or is there extra he can still lose? If you think his doctors are not concerned enough about his lack of nutrition I would call and let them know that you think it is a serious situation because it is, once you start going backward it is not easy to make up. Have they considered putting a feeding tube in? It may be necessary to get him through this difficult and unusual period. Many people dislike the idea of having a feeding tube in but I have always been a proponent of them, they are a lifesaver. Sorry if I wasn't much help but I certainly hope a solution is at hand. Also, I always trust in God and Pray a lot.

Wishing You The Best

Take Care, God Bless

Russ

• Kazsmiles74
    Kazsmiles74 Member Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Thanks Russ,

I have been giving my concerns to all the care team since week 3 of treatments. But, being that he did have some spare weight they kept saying he could try and push through it if he wanted. I kept telling him it what I have read here and that he should go for the feeding tube. He did finally ask the last week of radiation and they said basically it was too late. But here we are… backsliding. He is down 45lbs since his first treatment. I have watched him try to get things down and he just can’t do it. Yes I’m sure the nausea is not helping with that. Yes he takes prescribed anti nausea medication, it helps some. I wake up each day hoping today will be the day he can eat. He is not consuming about 300-600 calories a day. It is 3:00pm here today and all he has had so far is a protein drink 250 calories. Thank goodness he has blood draw and hydration today!

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Very well, Kaz, let's hope for a break in his situation. I thought from your first post that he was not trying to eat but you say he is trying to get things down and just can't do it. Pray for tomorrow to be a better day.

You say "He did finally ask the last week of radiation and they said basically it was too late." But now he is 8 weeks post-treatment I would say something again. I have heard of putting in a feeding tube when a person gets to a critical stage sometimes to save their life but I think it is better to get it in as soon as possible when needed. Is there any reason now they won't put one in?

Take Care, God Bless

Russ