Loss of figure after tug flap

Options
lauragian
lauragian Member Posts: 5 Member
edited September 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

I’m looking for some advice on fat grafting after TUG flap breast reconstruction. I had this procedure done 12 years ago, and since then I’ve had several fat grafting sessions to fill in my breast. However, I’m very unhappy with how my body looks now. The fat grafting took away the curves from my hips and thighs and extended my abdomen and belly fat. I feel like I lost my feminine shape and I don’t recognize myself anymore.

I know some people might think this is a trivial issue, but it’s affecting my mental health and self-esteem. I wonder if there is any way to reverse the fat grafting and restore my original curves. Has anyone else experienced this problem or found a solution? I would appreciate any information you can offer. Thanks

Comments

• LovesPrimes
    LovesPrimes Member Posts: 96 Member
    Options

Hello, lauragian. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in here but I wanted you to know that I read this. I'm scheduled for DIEP in December and the surgeon's office is managing my expectations. They said that at least half of their DIEP patients end up needing at least one revision surgery. I still feel like this is the path that I want to take but one of the reasons that I am choosing DIEP is because I'm hoping that it will be the last surgery I need.

I hope that you're able to get to a place where you're happy with the results.

• lauragian
    Options

Thank you - I appreciate your reply. You also might want to ask how it might affect your blood pressure. I wish someone had known about the effects of blood pressure before I had my procedures. I read today that the fat on hips has some substance in it that helps keep blood pressure down and that after DIEP flaps, the tissue is tightened down which may increase blood pressure. I wish you also the best outcome for your procedure and that you'll not need a lot of additional grafting. Best regards, Laura

• lauragian
    Options

I mentioned the hips because for myself, much fat was taken from my hips and now I deal with high blood pressure whereas before, I had unusually low blood pressure (but not unsafe low bp).