Recommendations for Pain Meds (non-narcotic)

Options
ThisShallPass
ThisShallPass Member Posts: 5 Member
edited September 2023 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Hello - I've found all your posts very helpful, and this is my first time posting. I have base of tonsil HPV+ SCC. I've had two surgeries, and I'm currently close to half-way through 35 radiation treatments (mix of proton and IMRT). No surprise, swallowing is starting to really hurt. I started Lyrica last week, but I don't think it has kicked in yet (besides making me drowsy and wobbly). I took gabapentin before and after my last surgery, but I know that takes time to ramp up too. Are there any other non-narcotic fast-acting prescription pain meds that any of you recommend I ask my doctor about? (I need to be able to drive to my appointments.) I'm taking Tylenol and ibuprofen already.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Hello, This, and welcome to the CSN H&N discussion support board.

You have certainly gone through a lot with 2 surgeries and being halfway done with follow-up radiation of 2 types Proton and IMRT. Sorry, you are starting to experience soreness pretty severely with swallowing, although it is part and parcel of this treatment scenario.

For pain, I have recently come across this combination mentioned either here or in another source I have read.

For Pain--

Ibuprofen and acetaminophen 3 pills each - we call it the combo and it really does relieve pains and aches.

There is also liquid over-the-counter pain relief also you might try--

There are 2 pain meds I was prescribed during treatment but I don't think they would work for you because of driving but you may ask your doctor.

1-Liquid Hydrocodone Hydrocodone bitartrate 10mg, acetaminophen 300mg; per 15mL; tropical fruit punch flavor; contains alcohol 7%.

And the other was a tablet-Oxycodone hydrochloride and Acetaminophen oral tablet, Amneal, 5 mg / 325 mg

Stay strong, Wishing You The Best and of course, our motto here is---

NEGU (Never Ever Give Up)

Take Care, May God Bless & Watch Over You

Russ

• ThisShallPass
    ThisShallPass Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Thank you for the recommendations!

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Absolutely, sometimes we need all the help we can get to get through this, and trust me there are better days ahead and this will all be behind you.

Take Care, May God Bless & Watch Over You

Russ