!st Chemo Down

Options
mart62
mart62 Member Posts: 31 Member
edited September 2023 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Had !st chemo treatment on Wed and it has been ruff. Joint pain , pain in my feet and my heart was doing flip flops yesterday but it stopped. I didnt think it was going to be so painful

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Mart, that just doesn't seem right to me. You are having some significant side effects from this chemo. And I am especially concerned about your heart as you describe it as flip flops which I am guessing is some sort of speeding up of the heart or palpitations, etc. I suggest you write down all the things you noticed happening from this chemo and any changes in general since you started treatment and share them right away with your care team. They may or may not change the chemo you are receiving due to these effects but they should definitely know about them. Your care team is there for you to get you through this treatment with as few problems and issues as possible and they want to hear if there are any issues. Again, the heart issue to me creates questions along with the other side effects so please make your care team aware of all that is happening before getting more treatments.

Wishing You the Best

Take care, God Bless

Russ

• mart62
    Options

called Patient Assistant hot line Dr on call thought aching all over was from Neulasta which I injected on Friday to build white blood cells ,can be a side effect , he told me to take a Clariton and if heart issue continues call back tomorrow.

• wbcgaruss
    Options

Very good Mart, a wise decision, I am glad you are on top of things. I am wishing you continued good treatment that leads you to the destination of NED (No Evidence of Disease.

Wishing You the Best

Take care, God Bless

Russ

• Diogenese
    Diogenese Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I agree!

I think it is a good idea for everyone to write down anything they notice that is out of the ordinary , like anything that is not healing properly or in a timely fashion and discuss your list with your doctor. You never know what it might be. I’ve had what presented as a pimple turn into a rare and aggressive form of cancer. A swollen gland became metastatic cancer. I’ve come to the conclusion that the simple sayings we learned when we were young like, “Birds of a feather…” and “It’s better to be safe than sorry,” are well worth paying attention to.

• steven59
    steven59 Member Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Other than fatigue my mom felt no pain from chemo at 80. Do demand explanations for any side effects as Dr's can tweak treatment to any drug you might be sensitive to.

• mart62
    Options

well I am 10 days post chemo and I am jast starting to feel like myself. Could not put 2 sentences together for a week. Chemo brain is real. Had 3 radiation treatments and had some soreness afterwards but has improved overnight.Getting ready to face another week of radiation M-F which I am not looking forward to. Plan to discuss chemo side effects with med onc. Chemo seems to be working. Swelling in my neck went down in 2 days and my voice came back, which was reduced to a whisper in 7 days. Thanks for letting me vent.

• wbcgaruss
    Options

Mart, I am glad you are starting to feel more like yourself again post 10 days. Chemo is not being nice to you. Radiation seems to be tough on you also with swelling in the neck and voice loss after 3 treatments. Interesting to see what a full week will do. Just hang in there no matter what you will get this done and be cancer-free. Vent all you want anytime we are here to listen and help in any way we can.

Wishing You The Best

Take Care, May God Bless & Watch Over You

Russ

• mart62
    Options

I had swelling in the neck and loss of voice before treatment LOL

• wbcgaruss
    Options

Hah, my mistake then. Maybe you are doing it backward. No, I guess not, just joking, I see now the treatment is eradicating the cancer away alleviating your problems and hopefully getting you to a victory of NED.

Forward and don't look back, leave that cancer in your rearview mirror.

Russ

• steven59
    steven59 Member Posts: 100 Member
    Options

This is the place to come to vent, ask questions, whatever we need to do to get through this. We do understand each other here.

• wbcgaruss
    Options

Yes, we do.

This H&N treatment can be terribly tough.

We need to let people know the effects they are experiencing are normal for the treatment but there are brighter days ahead.

Russ

• TryinmyBest
    TryinmyBest Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hello, mart62. This is my first time leaving a post on a cancer thread because this is my first time as a cancer patient , so thank you for leaving yours for me to add my thoughts on to. I am just now feeling better after my very first Chemo treatment, too, but it's been 10 difficult days on the Oncology floor getting there.

It's been a lot of firsts. First time I found out what Chemo Brain really means practically, first time learning to love/hate a little man-purse over my shoulder at all times containing the pump, first time I realized just how much medication I am to keep up with taking, and just how much mucus my head is capable of making as the suction pump gets emptied of bloody glops. It's traumatic.

To hear about your heart flip-flopping- that sounds very disconcerting. With whom do you address that kind of issue? I try to communicate with my team as best I can, but trying to annunciate at times can be quite frustrating and painful.

Thanks again everyone for the opportunity to share. Hoping everyone is feeling rested today!

• wbcgaruss
    Options

Well, Tryin, welcome to the CSN H&N discussion board. So I am sorry you ended up here but you will find help and support here. I recommend you check out the "Superthread" at the top of the H&N discussion main page it is loaded with information and links.

Also maybe you can tell us a little bit about yourself. Such as how you first start noticing something was not right that got you to seek a doctor's or ENT's care and examination. What type of cancer do you have and at what location is it, what stage is it, etc. What is the treatment plan they worked up for you, are you getting chemo and rads?

Could you please explain about the 10 difficult days on the Oncology floor?

You are experiencing a lot of new situations that you nor none of us experienced until we had to enter the world of cancer treatment, not that we wanted to. Had you never gotten cancer you most likely would never have been exposed to such things.

Chemo brain can be difficult at first but you kind of adapt to it and after treatment and a bit of recovery it mostly goes away.

Carrying the shoulder bag with the chemo pump in is certainly something new and something to get used to but though annoying at times it can be your friend also helping deliver medications to get rid of your cancer.

The suctioning pump helps keep the extra mucous and excretions cleared out but it can be a bit disconcerting to look at, try to ignore it as much as possible.

Wishing You the Best

Take care, God Bless

Russ

• TryinmyBest
    TryinmyBest Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Thank you, russ! I'll start by saying that yes, this is all very new and entirely unfamiliar. This network itself does have the feel of something that no-one would like to be familiar with given their options, but I cannot express the gratitude that I have the more that I peruse it. The selflessness of those who share their stories and empathy is a type of medicine in and of itself.

That said, as I am very new here and would like to be respectful, should I start a new post as I do not wish to detract from mart62's original post? I very much appreciate the guidance, Thank You.

• wbcgaruss
    Options

Tryin, starting a new post to introduce yourself would be nice. And it is very easy. On any page of the Head and Neck section or the main page of Head and Neck discussion look on the top right side of the page and you will see a large blue oval tab that says new topic. Just click on it, give it a title and tell us about your situation. Such as how you first start noticing something was not right that got you to seek a doctor's or ENT's care and examination. What type of cancer do you have and at what location is it, what stage is it, etc. What is the treatment plan they worked up for you, are you getting chemo and rads? Put there whatever you are comfortable with. We are all in the same boat here, dealing with cancer and the effects and after effects of it. Welcome to the club nobody wants to be in. Sorry you have to be here but we certainly welcome you and I hope you find the needed help and support here.

Wishing You The Best

Russ

• mart62
    Options

Hello Tryin and welcome to the club. Well it will be 2 weeks tomorrow since my 1st chemo.I am a lot more steady on my feet and feel completely normal overall. Today I had my head shaved as it was coming out in clumps.kinda depressing even though I have done this before. Having radiation everyday this week and my throat is starting to feel sore but nothing Motrin can’t handle.I know this is going to get worse so when I can’t eat anymore I will resort to oxycodone.

• Diogenese
    Diogenese Member Posts: 13 Member
    edited September 2023 #18
    Options

Hi Mart!

I’m sorry you’re having such a tough go of it; but it sounds like you’ve done your research, you know what to expect, you have a plan and a positive attitude, so I’m confident you’ll pull through with flying colors.

I’m keeping you in my prayers.

NEGU!