Feels like I’m going to a funeral.

Options
rcjohnson530
rcjohnson530 Member Posts: 4 Member
edited September 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

What do I say.. double mastectomy august 17. I’m so sad. That’s it

Cancer Free tho. Thank God for that Indeed. My feelings are still hurt tho.

Comments

• Maudia
    Maudia Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

With time you'll adjust. A new "normal" for lack of a better word. I had a double mastectomy in November last year. Still adjusting but trying to find the positives and humor when i can. Are you having reconstruction?

• rcjohnson530
    rcjohnson530 Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I’m not sure. The referral is in for plastic surgery… I’m about a 90% yes.

thank you for showing me some love 😊

• LovesPrimes
    LovesPrimes Member Posts: 96 Member
    Options

Hi, rc. I'm so very sorry for your loss and it is a loss. I had bilateral mastectomy and tissue expanders put in May 11th. No chemo or radiation but I'll be on anti-cancer drugs for 5-10 years. Just this past Friday I had my ovaries and fallopian tubes removed (salpingo oophorectomy). My DIEP reconstruction is scheduled for December 22nd.

I'm working through grief and wondering if, even with reconstruction, I'll ever really feel like I have breasts again. I am also seeing a cancer support counselor one-on-one and that really helps. I am thankful to have many people in my life who love and care for me but only my counselor really gets it and doesn't try to encourage or make me think positive (which of course has the consequence of actually encouraging me and helping me see positives.) Please let me and others on these boards know how we can help.