Post VATS dry cough

Options
chgesnlatitude
chgesnlatitude Member Posts: 6 Member
edited September 2023 in Lung Cancer #1

Hi! Looking for insight on a dry cough, which of course hurts, 2 weeks post VATS lung resection, cancer removal, and lymph node check. Seems like every little bit something new pops up.

TIA. I appreciate being able to be part of this group.

Mary

Comments

• Vette
    Vette Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Hello Mary, I also had the dry cough, it is common after having a lobectomy. I had an upper left lobectomy (vats) and it felt like my cough would never go away. Hang in there it does get better. Just keep doing the spirometer exercises faithfully and when doing your walks outside breath in deep and blow out slowing through perched lips. Your lungs / body has gone through a lot, the cilia are trying wake back up and remember coughing is nature's way of clearing out the lung. I was able to receive a prescription of pearls coughing med pills to take, it help some. Remember to drink LOTS of water...

• chgesnlatitude
    Options

Thanks so much! I truly appreciate you taking time to share. Very helpful.

Not sure what the pearls are? I do know it hurts to cough.

Warm regards,

Mary

• Vette
    Vette Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

It should not hurt to cough you are coughing too hard try delsym cough syrup until you can get into the doc. Go back to the doc and ask for something to assist with the cough while you are healing. When you begin to feel better start strengthening your body to get it back in shape. Do not, I repeat do not bend over a lot not good for you after a lobectomy and don't lift anything more than a gallon of milk for at least 3 months while healing. The thing I knot like about this surgery is the docs will not give definitive answers because everyone is different. Also, if something does not feel right let the surgeon know.. Good Luck to you!

• chgesnlatitude
    Options

Thank you so much! Your info is very helpful. I am grateful.

Take good care.

Mary

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    Options

The cough is often triggered by the healing process Think scarring. In addition to the Delsym cough syrup (guaifanesim), try drinking honey in a warm beverage. Honey is high in anti oxidants and helps reduce inflammation in the esophagus. If the cough is really bad, talk to your surgeon or doctor about Tessalon Perls.

• chgesnlatitude
    Options

Thanks so much for taking time to share. I am going tp give the honey a whirl.

Be well. ❤️